• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I carry an XDs .45 3" almost every day, especially in summer, but I actually prefer the wife's G19 over her G26 when I carry 9mm. For special events like a movie theater, I carry the M&P .45 because it has night sights on it.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    G26 all the way. I went from an xd-S. I've shot a shield. No comparison
    Thickness is irrelevant. Get a comp-tac Minotaur and you'll be set.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My EDC is a Gen4 G26 in a Raven Vanguard with a GAP floor plate carried at 2 o'clock. All my friends have either a Shield or a 43 to carry. But with their bulky holsters they print more than me. So pay attention to your holster options. I'm not a big fan of the Shield trigger but my Shield buddies don't like my Glock trigger.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ Hmm that's opposite of what I've experienced. I don't see how a thicker Glock can print less than a thinner Shield. I guess don't use a bulky OWB holster. I use an IWB leather / kydex hybrid @ 4-5 o'clock and nobody would know I have it on me even if wearing a dress shirt and tie.

These really are two different choices imo. If the OP wants deep concealment I'd say go with a Shield & toss the 8 rnd mag into a pocket. If he wants more capacity then go with a 26 or similar. If I'm not so worried about hiding it I'm wearing my Steyr, PPQ or VP9. Those mid sized weapons conceal about as well as a 26 imo.

bigbaloo95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    wolcottville
    They are both good guns. The shield fits my (large) hands better but may not be the same for you. Gen 4 glock finger groove grips are a big turn off for me as is the fact my bottom two fingers hang off a 26. I consider a pic'em situation unless you go rent or borrow the guns first but that may not be feasible.

Jvernon

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hop, the Shield is .95" wide. The Glock is 1.18" wide. The Vanguard adds no width to the pistol. With any other IWB holster you just added over .2" to the width. I've tried the Shield in a hybrid and two other kydex holsters. My 26 prints less on my body at 2 o'clock but that's just me. The GAP floor plate is an amazing thing. It doesn't add anything to the height but I feel almost the same control as a full size grip. People don't believe me until they try it.

tomray3of4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    United States
    If the OP wants deep concealment I'd say go with a Shield & toss the 8 rnd mag into a pocket. If he wants more capacity then go with a 26 or similar.

This is precisely my debate. Another thing pulling me to the shield is I have the $ now, the Glock I'm not there yet. I am going to try to go to Tims in Westfield and shoot both of them for a better feel.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    How's the recoil on the G26? I had a Springfield xd9sc, but got rid of it because it was uncomfortable to shoot... just way too much kick for the size.

Any reason to go Gen 3 instead of Gen 4?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How's the recoil on the G26? I had a Springfield xd9sc, but got rid of it because it was uncomfortable to shoot... just way too much kick for the size.

Any reason to go Gen 3 instead of Gen 4?

When I had my G26, I thought it felt the same as my G19, which meant that the recoil was negligible. The grip and texture changed between Gen 3 and 4, so some prefer one over the other. I actually prefer Gen 3 myself, though I'm not into Glock's as much as I used to be :)

Dino Bravo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 20, 2015
    Cumberland
    I bought a 9mm Shield originally for EDC. I've only fired it one session out at Highsmith in Greenfield. It led me to purchase the CZ P09 because I prefer larger guns. The Shield performed well, but I have arthritic hands and handling the sharper recoil was more of a challenge for me. I like the Shield, but the hands issue has me wanting to sell it and just concentrate on the CZ. I can conceal a P 09 well, so EDC is not an issue for the P09.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had both and sold both.I now carry a Kahr PM9.I prefer the size and weight of the Kahr.I also shoot it the best.I feel it has a much better trigger and grip.You can get it for the same price of the Glock.Try a Kahr and see what you think.

Last edited:

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    They are in a different category. If you want a heavier gun with higher capacity then you should get the Glock 26. But if you want a lighter gun that is easier to carry with gym clothes then you need to get the Glock 43.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Two very different guns, a lot of people a drawn to the single stack guns but I did got away from them since to me is more important a good holster and belt. I now carry a G19 and it is possible to carry in a comfortable manner, I would only carry a single stack as deep concealment or backup.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Across YouTube and blog forums alike, a surprising number of comparisons are drawn between the Shield and G26. Naturally there are also plenty of comparisons drawn between the Shield and the 43, it's late-arrival direct competitor. But it seems to almost be a showdown with the 26 still, in spite that it's technically in a different camp being a thicker double stack.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I shot my Shield 9 for the first time on Friday - I did not find the recoil snappy with 115 or 124gr loads, but 147gr was a little bit more noticeable. There is a difference in recoil between it and my G19, which makes perfect sense due to the size/weight difference. The Shield was very controllable and accurate.

Top Bottom