• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Who has them around Indy area? I was about to order one from PSA however, it seems $359 is about $10 less then asking. Then adding the FFL xfee may be about the same if purchased around town. My plans to surch for one on Sunday were snuffed, when the kids altered my plans. I'm looking for .40 or 9 if it's available. Looking for a new summer carry.

Thanks,

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    KS&E Sports. Call and talk to Ed. $379. He's been getting half a dozen or so in every week. A coworker and I each got one last Saturday. I'm happy I dealt with him and I hope to buy more from him.

If you want a 9 don't settle for a 40 :)

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    How do you handle recoil? 40 cal in a Shield ,I would think is heavy. I shot a buddies PM 40 KAHR VERY heavy recoil -most who have fired it. Shield may be a bit bigger ,but I would guess still more than 9mm. With the great SD ammo out there now, why 40?
    I have read about many problems with the 40cal in sub compact pistols PPS/Shield. Check them out on other forums.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Thanks Max, that's a great find! Come to find out they also have Lay-Away! I'll take a lay away anytime I can.

How do you handle recoil? 40 cal in a Shield ,I would think is heavy. I shot a buddies PM 40 KAHR VERY heavy recoil -most who have fired it. Shield may be a bit bigger ,but I would guess still more than 9mm. With the great SD ammo out there now, why 40?
    I have read about many problems with the 40cal in sub compact pistols PPS/Shield. Check them out on other forums.

8th...I have always been partial to a .40, and I enjoy the caliber. I CC and reload .40 the most. However, I'm having the same thoughts about the recoil. Since I reload I'm sure I can put together a nice low recoil round as I have for my XD. My concern is finding defense ammo that also has a low recoil and is effective. When I say effective I mean the ability to expand, thats my concern. I'm not a 9mm guy but I'm thinking about it. For the price I'm thinking of a 9mm Shield. I haven't found much regarding problems, it seems folks are very happy with the Shield except for the safety. I have read and seen vids where half say recoil is managable and some that say it's a bit snappy due to the size.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The 9mm Shield is a little snappy to me. I think it's just about perfect for it's size, but wouldn't want anything with more recoil, so the 9mm works out best for me. If you go to the S&W forums, there are many reported issues with the .40 Shield. TBH, I haven't read any of the threads, but I've seen the thread titles. With as many threads as there are I would be surprised there aren't at least some issues with that model. I also think that if you reload a low recoil round, it could cause ejection / jamming issues. The slide is pretty stiff and needs a decent amount of force to operate correctly. I don't know this for a fact, it's just an assumption. I thought I read in a forum somewhere that someone had issues with lower powered rounds.

Anyway, the Shield is a very nice weapon. Hopefully you'll pick one up and will enjoy your choice.

XDS45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2014
    Indiana
    After owning the 9 and the 40 I got rid of both. Both were starting to have problems with less then 100 rounds through them. The 9mm,the slide would not go back in place after firing a round or 2 and jammed a bunch,the 40 was starting to jam also. I cleaned and lubed them and tried again,same results and I have always shot the same brand of ammo through them both. I picked up a Ruger SR45 and had money left to buy an extra clip,holster,box of ammo and padded case. I was disappointed with the Shield,great carry gun when they work right.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I purchased the Shield .40 and I have to say wow! I shot 50rds PMC, 50 blazer, 100 WW, 20 Hornady Critical Def and handful of reloads close to 300. The 165gn seemed to be the ones with a little more recoil compared to the 180gn. The recoil was very managable and no more snappy if you like .40. My only gripe is the mags were hard to load and may require a break in. I had 1 PMC stove pipe at test round 12 or so which I contribute to the break in process. Reloads were 180 GN Berry plated RNFT with 4.5, 4.7 and 4.9gn of BE. I have to say the critical defense loads packed a felt and managabe recoil however the shield is very comfortable.

Last edited:

bagdaddy09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    noblesville
    My wife got me one for Christmas, I've shot 400-500 through it and like it. I got mine in Terra Haute at Top Guns, but have seen them at Bare Arms in Noblesville.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I have had a 9mm shield for several months now and have shot 500+ rounds through it with no problems. I do not care for the small clips even for plinking.

Top Bottom