• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Alright, so I recently picked up a Gen5 Glock 19 and all the shopping around has me wanting to get another AR-15. I stepped away from the hobby and sold most of my gun stuff about 5 years ago but I'm trying to get back into it now.

I'm not looking to build one just yet, I would rather get a complete one right now, then modify it from there. My next one will be a build I'm sure, but that's a thread for later this year.

The problem is that I picked one heck of a time to try and get back into this. I've gone to 5 different shops around the Indy area and called others, rifles are flying off the shelves. I really liked the S&W Sport 2, seems like a cheap way to get back into it and be able to get some shooting time in soon, but impossible to find right now without going to a store like Cabellas. Well I was at Bradis guns today as one of my stops, the only Smith and Wesson they had was the Non-Sport M&P 15. From what I can tell reading online, the main difference is all of the chrome lined parts that come on it already, 1/7 twist vs the 1/9 twist on the sport, and the carry handle vs the flip up rear sight.... for an extra $300ish. I haven't owned an AR in over 5 years, but through all the reading and searching I've done on here I cant tell if its actually worth the extra money. I love the look of the carry handle over the flip up sights, and any sort of optic would be a later upgrade, if one at all for this rifle. I would rather get really good with the iron sights and build a new one with an optic down the road.

I'm not totally set on Smith and Wesson, I just hear good things about them and their customer service. If there is anything better for under the $1000 price point I'm open to suggestions. Just looking for a solid AR to get back into this, and something that can hopefully be a duty rifle down the road.

Non-Sport- around $999 at LGS
    M&P®15 | Smith & Wesson

Sport 2- $700ish
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/mp-15-sport-ii

So save some money up front and get some accessories? Or start with a better base and wait on the upgrades for later?

As far as what I like, the Non-sport seems like the better option with the upgrades. I just struggle with what the actual value is in them. I've attempted to look at what it would cost to upgrade the Sport 2 to make it more comparable, but there are far too many options for a novice to know what exactly they are looking at. I was already struggling with the price range difference in quad rails. :runaway:

Thanks for any advice, I'm glad to be back.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good night those are both overpriced. And sounds like the shops you're going to are trying to get people to panic buy.

Don't buy either of those for those prices.

Colt 6920, BCM, or a LWRC DI are currently the best all around carbine under $1k. Start there.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Sport II and the Ruger entry level guns were running below $500. Haven't been pricing them in the last month or so but I'd be looking a bit harder for a place that had some better pricing.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good night those are both overpriced. And sounds like the shops you're going to are trying to get people to panic buy.

Colt 6920, BCM, or a LWRC DI are currently the best all around carbine under $1k. Start there.
    What he said!

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville

I have no idea where to find an LWRC under 1000 that’s new and complete. I like the Colt 6920 but it’s also hard to find new right now. Even the websites that only sell to first responders are out. I should look harder for a BCM though.

What do you want to do with the rifle? Do you want to spend $1000 on just a rifle with iron sights?
    I’m fine with spending 1k on a rifle with iron sights if it lives up to the value. Something that I won’t be trying to upgrade the internals on any time soon. Many of the higher end ones cost far more and only come with iron sights.
    I want something just for shooting right now, that’s why I like the carry handle option. I’m not looking to put optics on right away with only a 1k budget. I would also like for it to be a duty rifle down the road when that time comes.
    Those prices seem high. Although they aren't as cheap as they were last year, Buds has the for a little over $630.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...wesson_m&p_15_sport_ii_223556_nato?cpath=2108

Prices have gone nuts because the demand just went crazy. Places that had 50+ in stock are now nearly sold out, especially the ones under 1k. That same website lists the other rifle for $5 more than the local places. I’m just trying to figure out what a good deal is through the high demand.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Unless you have to have it now, I'd wait. The M&P that your LGS wants $1,000 for was going for $500-$525 on Gun Buyer, Buds Guns, & Ky Gun Co. at the time of the Parkland shooting. When the rabid gun grabbers calm down (probably summer time when they are out on school break) then the prices will come back down. If no other wacko shoots anything up between now and say August I'd bet the prices come back down to the $500 range.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    PSA runs weekend deals. Get a complete lower and complete upper, pin it together and you'll have a better rifle for under $600.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    PSA runs weekend deals. Get a complete lower and complete upper, pin it together and you'll have a better rifle for under $600.

This is what I did last summer. Actually I think I paid about $430 total on "blem" models. Never did find the "blem". When I looked at PSA's sight right after everything went crazy, most things were sold out.

And I bought an M&P Sport before the Sport II came out for around $569. No complaints. Hopefully things calm down and prices get back to normal.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You aren't looking hard enough then :D

I have no idea where to find an LWRC under 1000 that’s new and complete. I like the Colt 6920 but it’s also hard to find new right now. Even the websites that only sell to first responders are out. I should look harder for a BCM though.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville

I actually really like FN stuff, I just don’t see their rifles very often. That colt seems like a good price, I actually found a shop locally that had a few in stock from 870-1100. 1100 coming with some Magpul, I’ve been told that the Colt quality has dropped over the last few years, yet it doesn't seem to have changed the resale value. They still maintain value pretty well from what I can tell.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    1). Buy online. Those prices are a bit high.

2). Colts are military grade QC. They don’t give a **** about dings and scratches. They only care about the important stuff that relates to function. The guns flat out work. They aren’t pretty. People saying their quality has gone down.....they’re wrong. If you want something pretty, you’ll need to inspect before you buy and try to find the 5% that look pretty.....or just don’t buy a Colt.

I actually really like FN stuff, I just don’t see their rifles very often. That colt seems like a good price, I actually found a shop locally that had a few in stock from 870-1100. 1100 coming with some Magpul, I’ve been told that the Colt quality has dropped over the last few years, yet it doesn't seem to have changed the resale value. They still maintain value pretty well from what I can tell.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    1). Buy online. Those prices are a bit high.

2). Colts are military grade QC. They don’t give a **** about dings and scratches. They only care about the important stuff that relates to function. The guns flat out work. They aren’t pretty. People saying their quality has gone down.....they’re wrong. If you want something pretty, you’ll need to inspect before you buy and try to find the 5% that look pretty.....or just don’t buy a Colt.

I actually ended up finding a very nice LE6920 that I talked myself into today. $800 used with very little signs of wear and it already has a Magpul stock/grip/handguard. It’s what I wanted before someone convinced me to look at S&W. Price might be slightly high to some, but just couldn’t walk away. Thanks for all the recommendations though.

Top Bottom