• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Well, I have first generation low serial universal M1(GI parts) before all their reliability issues....

I am looking at getting ahold of one of these scope mounts M1 .30 Carbine Forward ("Scout") Scope Mount yet they say it doesn't work on "Universal" carbines......I know universal started changing stuff from GI spec well after mine.

If anyone knows if it will work or anyone local to me with GI carbines I could compare measurements with that would be great. If I can get it to work, I'm thinking low light coyote rifle:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    It says all it should touch is the barrel so I am guessing barrel diameter is key in this. Looking at the installation instructions you can see what part of the barrel needs measured. I can't measure mine because my mikes have taken a vacation somewhere in the house without letting me know where they were staying... (I have looked high and low and am about to buy a new set but as soon as I do I'll find the old ones).

Perhaps someone who knows where their micrometer is can do a measurement?

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    It says all it should touch is the barrel so I am guessing barrel diameter is key in this. Looking at the installation instructions you can see what part of the barrel needs measured. I can't measure mine because my mikes have taken a vacation somewhere in the house without letting me know where they were staying... (I have looked high and low and am about to buy a new set but as soon as I do I'll find the old ones).

Perhaps someone who knows where their micrometer is can do a measurement?

hmm, I'll have to get mine apart to measure it.....and I'm the same way with misplacing stuff, I misplaced my old IS/OS caliper, and found them after buying a nicer one through where I work....lol

Some early universals were rumored to have GI barrels, but considering mine is april of '63 IIRC production, and my parents were 5yo when it was made, I wonder if some prudent info has been lost in time. I'll post up my barrel measurement first chance I get it back apart...lol

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    hmm, I'll have to get mine apart to measure it.....and I'm the same way with misplacing stuff, I misplaced my old IS/OS caliper, and found them after buying a nicer one through where I work....lol

Some early universals were rumored to have GI barrels, but considering mine is april of '63 IIRC production, and my parents were 5yo when it was made, I wonder if some prudent info has been lost in time. I'll post up my barrel measurement first chance I get it back apart...lol

You know if you need a mic or caliper all you gotta do is ask. I've got both, you should know this by now. :):

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    Hats off to you, I have never heard of the Universal ever having any USGI parts on them at anytime....learned something new today right here on INGO.

pre-serial 23xxx they were, after that they started "modifying" the original design....I believe it started with the trigger guard frame area, then the cut section on the slide(which always breaks), difficulty accepting GI mags, then other retarded things......

for crist sakes, mine even has the bayo lug for the m4 bayonet....:):

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    My buddy an I back around 1980 bought 2 Universal M1 Carbines from JC Penny in Wabash...they were 142.00 ea. They both performed perfectly, we both put scope mounts an scopes on. My buddy reloaded an it was very accurate. Mine sucked for accuracy. After about 6 months of headache with mine I happend to really look down the muzzle.,...what!!!?... I asked my buddy to bring his Universal over to compare...his MW was perfectly round....mine was egg shaped!! No wonder it couldn't ever get a consistant pattern...junk....sold it. I can't even bring myself to buy a USGI Carbine.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    the best ones have the GI style lower around the trigger assembly, the newer universals are the same width as the magwell to the rear of the trigger frame, and the worst universals have the infernal cutout on the slide.......lmfao

I'm slacking/not wanting to deal with the release to get the stock off the rifle.....so I haven't gotten around to measuring mine yet....lol

Top Bottom