• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    I had owned a few of them years ago, but sold them because I couldnt find any surplus ammo, and the cost of it when I did find it was high.

Started to shoot rifles in 7.62x 39, but now that ammo is just as high
    So a couple weeks ago I found a Winchester carbine at a gun show that I had to have. The price of carbines have went up a few hundred dollars though. I had to pay 750.00 dollars for this one.

Its a Winchester receiver, and barrel, with some other Win. parts, but still a mix master, with a replacement stock, and ARL. ORD. import mark.

Is this about what you all are seeing these carbines go for?

Its in great shape, and it groups real well at 25 yards.
    I had almost forgot how much fun these rifles are to shoot, and how light they are.

Anybody else like these rifles or collect them? I did have at one time six of them. Seemed like the ones with Underwood barrels always shot the best.

Last week I did find some 1969 Lake City ammo, sixty dollars for 120 rounds. A 30 round split back mag marked SEY for forty dollars. A real C tip ww2 sling, a couple of Korean war mag pouches, with four 15 round mags, all for a good deal. I also got a Utica leather handle bayonet, and BW sheath that are in great shape for 110 dollars.

So it looks like Im back in the M1 Carbine shooting, and collecting game.

Now Im on the hunt for some more surplus ammo, any suggestions as to where to find some?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a 30 Cal can almost full. The ammo is in bandoleers and stripper clips. Just need to see how much I have a determine a price. Are you anywhere near Indy since I would only do ammo FTF. I also have a bunch of mags laying around. I have one M1 amd 1 M1A1 left so I will need some of this stuff. Pm me if interested.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Im in Evansville, so that wont work unless you would ship.

Thanks on the heads up on the Remington rounds. I will check it out, but I still would like some surplus rounds.

walkercolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    M1 Carbines prices have gone thru the roof. Winchester will command more of premium over let's say a Inland that I have a few of.

I bought my first one 20 years ago and looking at the reciept it was $185.00 for a 1943 flat bolt Inland. The stock, bayo lug and safety were all later parts for that rifle. I just bought a 1944 Inland for $550.00 that has great metal and finish with the import stamp and beatup stock, ex-israeli that shoots great and seems to have most of its matching parts. Great rifling and its a good shooter, thats what I bought it for.

Even though your Winchester is a mix master, the odds are it is more in it's last US military state as compared to all these "original" M1 Carbines that I see at all these gun auction sites.

Buy the rifle not the story.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    As to ammo, Wolf makes some of their polymer coated steel rounds and they aren't too crazy in price (like $300 a 1000). I shoot it in my Inland and my bastardized Universal that someone tacticooled out in the 70's or 80's.

I love the M1 carbine. My dad bought me my Inland when I was teenager and I spent many a weekend running through the woods on our tobacco farm with that carbine on my shoulder.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    M1 Carbines are a bit touchy when it comes to extractors. I shot just a little Wolf and spit out an extractor. That may have been a fluke but I've used nothing but brass cased ammo since.

If it were me, I would keep the real USGI ammo as collectible and shoot Prvi Partizan and/or Aguilla.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Very cool Ammo User! The M1 Carbine was the very first center fire rifle I ever shot. My dad had one that was in great shape, but he sold it before he died. My heart sank.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I love the m1 carbine! I shot my inland my grandpa sold me just the other day. I shoot the Aguila ammo out of it with no problem. I do have alot of surplus ammo with tracers but for some reason I can not bring myself to shoot it.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a few carbines my most recent was a inland paratrooper which I received from my father. I too have recently noticed in the past few years the prices going up on the gi's. It seems 750+ is about the going rate. I have been stocking up on ammo every year when I go to knob creek usually finding privi for about 85.00 for 250rds. I would love to try and piece one together but I feel that would be a little harder then building an AR :):. Though the carbines don't have the ballistics has some mil surp rifles they are a blast to shoot.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I agree that $750 is a good price. I have a Winchester model. I got it from my father-in-law and found out when I took it apart that it was all Winchester except for the trigger guard. So I picked one up to make it all Winchester, had the metal parkerized and re-finished the stock.

I don't think I would sell it for twice what you paid for yours.

walkercolt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    M1 Carbines are a bit touchy when it comes to extractors. I shot just a little Wolf and spit out an extractor. That may have been a fluke but I've used nothing but brass cased ammo since.

I agree totally.

Might be another time for another story, but the extractor on my AR15 almost ripped the bottom off a Wolf cartridge completely off that ended up stuck in it's chamber, yes the chamber was clean and this was 5th round fired off the steel cased. I got the stuck cartridge out ok and the rifle fired off another 200 rounds of brass cased ammo without a problem, cleaned the heck out the chamber once done after target practice and has been fine ever since.Lesson learned.

I avoid the steel cased stuff for the M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, K98K, Enfield, M1A1, Mosin Nagants, AR 15, AR 180, Fn Fal,03a3. Better options availible. I know that some may like the ammo and that is their choice, but these are my rifles and they will see brass.

Research the ammo as well as the rifle, the best buy may be a pita.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    100   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I bought a 1945 Inland that was totally refinished stock and metal for $800. Same factory barrel is still bright on it. Bought last year.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have Inland I got when my father pasted away. He bought it at K Mart(yes, K Mart) in the late 1950's. Very fun to shoot. Here up north it is hard to find decently priced ammo for it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom