• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    ^ Thanks, but not to worry, no offense taken here! I don't think that was Mongo's intent, and I'm also well aware that my rifle shooting skills are mediocre at best. The point of my post was just to share some fun experience, and illustrate that if I even I can hit at 500 with it, the guys who designed the rifle and sights clearly did something right!

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    By far my favorite rifle to shoot. My son was 12 when he first shot the rifle. His eyes just lit up and was smiling ear to ear.
    ^^^ This, I think my Son was about the same age. At the time he was playing a FPS game with his friends and always went for a Garand, "because that was what Papaw used".

That first shot, he turned and looked at me and his eyes were wide open! I said something along the lines of, it's a little different than the video game isn't it, now understand what is happening down range. Nobody respawns from that. When the last shot was fired and the enbloc pinged out of the rifle, he had the biggest Garand grin on his face imaginable.

He had a markedly different behaviour around firearms after that. He had been safe before, but afterwards there was a noticeable change. Not fear, but more an extra level of respect.

He recently shot his first match with me. He had never shot in a match environment previously. He made no safety errors that I noticed, and shot well.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    I'm in the middle. The rifle I'm holding is number 11 and not pictured on the rack. At that event, I shot the M1 I built in August 2020 at the CMP AMC. Despite being a post war, Frankenrifle, and the least collectible, it is my favorite!

pUDmSfH.jpg
    Joker....Where did you get that stock set from? It is beautiful!!!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Joker....Where did you get that stock set from? It is beautiful!!!
    That's the CMP's standard replacement stock. They come with a sprayed stain/sealer that's helps keep the color uniform. I've found that with just a little sanding and several coats of raw linseed oil(...the real stuff), hand rubbed into the stock, those CMP stocks turn out really gorgeous.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I can recommend Fulton Armory’s book on the M1. Really helped me when I started owning the Garand. I also used their book when I built my M14 from a bare barreled receiver

Top Bottom