• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I don't know to much about the M1 Garand but I would like to own one. Can anyone tell me information on the gun ? I know they are military Surplus and I assume USA Military ?? Are all of them old Military Issue ?? I am looking for one that would be of good grade and in good accurate shooting condition. Where does a guy go to purchase one in good condition ??

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    Garands were used by most US Army ground soldiers during WWII and Korea. They are great guns and can be found on Gunbroker.com, gun shows, and some gun shops. Sometimes they are sold here, on this site. Many of us have them. Mine was origanally built in 1944 and then completely refurbished at the Springfield Armory, in 1962. It has had less than 500 rounds through it since then. Mine is very accurate and my favorite rifle. I bought it on Gunbroker.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I have one passed down from my father, he bought it in a detroit Pawn Shop in 1953, all I know is it is a marked Springfield xxxxxx low serial number all matching marked 10-41. Thats before WWII started. I would like to take it to the 1500 and have the guy who sells many of the old models look it over, but it just sits in the safe at home with a bunch of black tipped steel core, too heavy to carry around the show.
    I wonder if there is a book on line or the library that covers all the models and manufacturers. since mine was made in October of 1941 by Springfield, I am sure it saw war service somewhere.
    Dad took about 30 deer with it in Michigan over the years.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    You can google Garand serial number, and there are sites that will tell you when the reciever was manufactured.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    CMP all the way! I went to the store at Camp Perry last year and bought another SA,yes another. I own 4 Garands and they are by far my favorite Mil surp weapon! I have 2 SA, 1 IH,and a HRA. One of my SAs is a model D that I bought off a retired USMC Major that was in my Marine Corps League detachment in SD,CA. It is 100% correct as issued to him w/the exception of the stock that he kept because of it having his name ,rank, and yrs of service along with a 1st MARDIV medallion in it. He was going to let me have it but I declined as I know what it means to him! I bought a CMP stock for it. One warning about the Garand btw,once you get one there will be more to follow in your lifetime! They are truly a piece of our countrys history and a symbol of testament to those who protected our freedom with them! I say get one and cherish it as you cherish your freedom. The best battle implement ever created at its time of induction to service. Not to mention if they keep blocking the importation of "lend lease" weapons that are technically still ours then they will just become harder to get over time! One thing to be sure to look at is MW or muzzle wear and TE that is throat erosion! They will give you a gauge if you go to the CMP store or you can buy a set of both or just the MW one online also from the CMP store. www.ODCMP.com

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I made 2 trips to the N. Store in Ohio....scored both time on nice Field Grades. Check out the CMP site, get your paper work in order....you need club affiliation, an you can sign up an pay for that at the store if you want. An the guys at the store will be more than happy to help you select a great rifle if your not sure....

Then after you get a Garand you will need to get it friends for it....

1. Fed. Ord. M14A USGI parts, 1961 HR
    2. M1 Garand SA 11-42
    3. M1 Carbine Inland 11-42
    4. 1903A3 RA 11-43
    5. 1903 SA 6-32
    picture.php

Last edited:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a 1943 Springfield Armory and I love it. They Shoot 30-06 or M2 Ball ammo. they Are a very well built gun and if anyone says they want a M1 I say well you better get one. they feel so solid that pretty walnut stock the aperture sights and Oh that sexy action well it just makes me feel funny in all of those good places. but beware the garand as it can bite back so hold it right and make sure the bolt is all the way to the rear when you load it

They can be found everywhere many gun shops have them but the best route is the CMP store and you can get some really good food (and in clips) for it from them at a reasonable price because feeding that little rifle can get expensive

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    +1 for the CMP. There are other recent manufacturers of the receivers, but I've heard mixed results on their quality. Also beware of mil-surp receivers that have been cut apart and re-welded. Avoid all of these uncertainties and go CMP - you will not be disappointed. I have a post Korean War International Harvester (built it Evansville, IN!) that shoots better than I do (for now). She'll always be in my safe and ready to see action.

ol' poke

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I'd like to add my voice to the chorus saying, "CMP forever!". I have a 1943 serial #'d SA rifle. I purchased it from a gun store, but it was originally gotten from the CMP and has the certificate with it. If I could only have one surplus rifle, it would be a Garand.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I've gone with service grade. IMHO, it is a good combination of affordability and quality of metal and wood. There are certainly some nice rifles in the field and rack grades, but you do run the risk of having some parts that are pretty worn, and a stock that is pretty beat up.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My field grade the finish is worn, stock is a little rough, but it shoots great!

My brother has a few (10ish) service grades all look brand new, a couple of them have new wood on them. For the most part tho they are original wood thats in great shape.
    If your going to get a field grade I suggest going to the north store and pick it out.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    If you don't have an affiliation, how can you buy a gun @ CMP? Is there a general way of doing it so you can buy a rifle there?

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    If you don't have an affiliation, how can you buy a gun @ CMP? Is there a general way of doing it so you can buy a rifle there?
    Join the Garand Collectors Association. ~$25, and you get a nice magazine.

There's so many ways of fullfilling each CMP requirement, that almost anyone can qualify if the put their mind to it.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Join the Garand Collectors Association. ~$25, and you get a nice magazine.

There's so many ways of fullfilling each CMP requirement, that almost anyone can qualify if the put their mind to it.

^^This
    GCA has a great magazine, you can sign up at the north store if you go.
    LTCH covers the shooting part.
    If you are going to the North Store I suggest printing the forms out at home,fill them out and get them notarize before you go. It will speed it up while your there.

bevilsiz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Can you sign up for GCA online? I don't have an LTCH. Is the shooting part some kind of test they make you go through before they let you get the gun, or is it for the GCA? Sorry for the ignorance.

Top Bottom