• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    I am interested in entering the M1 Garand match that is being put on by the southern indiana gun club next weekend. I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done it. It would be my first match and I do not really know what to expect.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Here are some links to match shooting. The Garand matches I have shot have followed the regular High Power formats. Hopefully these will fill in some of the details.

THE NATIONAL MATCH COURSE
    National Match Course article.
    rec.guns FAQ: IX.I.2. Highpower Rifle Competition
    http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manuals/Hipoweracross.pdf

I do not know the facilities.... Or how long the match will run.... You may want to find out and consider the following:

• You may have to carry your gear to the firing line and the pits.

• Bringing rain gear is always a good option. It is also good to have something to cover your gear with if it rains. Nothing fancy is needed for your gear. A large garbage bag works and does not take up much space. (The weather forecasters are not to be trusted :))

• Hearing protectors are good to have in the pits (if they have them?). The bullet cracks when the bullets go overhead are loud enough to hurt your hearing. (Pits normally have an earth berm and cement wall between you and the shooters).

• Hats with bills and glasses are good to have in the pits. If someone hits a spotter just the pieces may hit you. It doesn't really hurt, but you would not want to get hit in the eye.

• I do not know how long the match will last, but if they last into the afternoon it would be good to bring food and drinks.

• There is no shade on the range so it is good to wear sunscreen. (Remember, the weather forecasters are not to be trusted :))

• Some people use both the foam style and muffs at the same time (double plugged) when they shoot. There are several high power rifles being shot at the same time that in close proximity to each other and the double plugs help deaden the noise.
    I would also let them know you are new to the sport when you sign up. If you have someone to call in advance they should be able to tell you what to expect at their match. Generally they will squad you with someone that can help you get started.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Most clubs follow the 30 round Garand match format all fired at 200 yards on the NRA Short Range target.(200 yards is short range for a rifle)

This is the course of fire at Southern Indiana R&P:

1. 5 sighters, prone slow fire. In 5 minutes.
    2. 10 shots for record, prone slow fire. In 10 minutes.
    3. 2 and 8 for a total of 10 shots for record, prone rapid fire. In 70 seconds.
    4. 10 shots, standing with no support, slow fire. In 10 minutes.

You will need a sling, two en bloc clips, 35 rounds, and a pair of binoculars or an inexpensive spotting scope for your scorekeeping duties.

Good luck and have fun. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

This is what the targets look like from the 200 yard line. Don't worry about all the fancy gear that the shooter is wearing/using, it is not absolutely needed. As you can see, you can easily see the shot spotter and scoring disc from 200 yards.

1pf2o6.jpg

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a few Garands and would also like to try a match sometime. What I want to do first though is to get with someone who has shot in the matches and would be willing to teach me how to do it. I've shot Garands for years but just as a plinker and never tried to shoot any of them seriously. I'd like to be taught how to shoot one the proper way. Maybe a few guys could get together and learn from one of you more experienced shooters.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Colt556, I understand what you are saying BUT, Garand matches are not serious matches in the overall scheme of things. Even the CMP calls them the "CMP fun matches". Nobody cares about an individuals score except the match winner's. EVERYBODY looks at his score pretty close. Otherwise, nobody cares how well an individual has shot.

During Garand match Saturday at Camp Perry, there might be 8 relays/1500 competitors and of those, hundreds may have just bought their rifle that morning or might have never shot their rifle or any other rifle, for that matter before the match.

The 5 sighters are not set in stone. Nobody will care how many you take as long as it is within the 5 minute time and are used to get you a 200 yard zero. If you ask, you will be squadded with an old hand that will help you sling up, load, and shoot your rifle. I, and my firends, have helped lots of new guys shoot scores that they didn't think they were capable of.

Having said that, I shoot at FWRR and would be happy to show you or anybody the ropes anytime. Also, watch the various clubs schedules for a Highpower Clinic.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    I have a few Garands and would also like to try a match sometime. What I want to do first though is to get with someone who has shot in the matches and would be willing to teach me how to do it. I've shot Garands for years but just as a plinker and never tried to shoot any of them seriously. I'd like to be taught how to shoot one the proper way. Maybe a few guys could get together and learn from one of you more experienced shooters.

I would recommend attending an Appleseed. A shooter I know who attended an Appleseed shot a Rifleman score bought his rack grade Garand from the CMP along with some surplus ammo. He won the silver medal last year in the Bluegrass games with that surplus ammo and rack grade rifle. the Bronze medal winner was also a recent Appleseeder. Both greatly contributed their accomplishments to the instruction they received at an Appleseed.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would recommend attending an Appleseed. A shooter I know who attended an Appleseed shot a Rifleman score bought his rack grade Garand from the CMP along with some surplus ammo. He won the silver medal last year in the Bluegrass games with that surplus ammo and rack grade rifle. the Bronze medal winner was also a recent Appleseeder. Both greatly contributed their accomplishments to the instruction they received at an Appleseed.

This is good advice. I fired a Garand in an Appleseed in Auburn, IN and a few weeks later at an Appleseed in Lodi, WI. Appleseed is a great way to learn how to shoot the old war horse and to get ready to earn some medals in a CMP Garand match.

Top Bottom