• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Of the M-1, the M-14 and the M-16, I like the M-1 the best for standing offhand shooting. That long sight radius is a good thing and old eyes can more easily focus when the sight is "way out there". The M-14 is not bad, but the 20 round box magazine gets in the way of my perfered offhand stance. The pistol grip in the m-16 allows a different position and a 20 round magazine does not get in my way, but the short sight radius is tough on old eyes as well as being more difficult to see very minor differences. (it can be done, I shot 95-96% with the mouse gun on the 200 yard offhand event the summer before I got the eye desease).

My next tip is not hearsay, I have actually done it. Before the 1970's M-2 ball was still still good rifle ammo. After about 1969 they switched from stick powder to ball powder and something changed with the bullets. Pre 1970 LC ball is more accurate than post 1970 LC ball. With ANY of the standard M-2 ball, a quick accuracy enhancement can be done by simply pulling the old combat bullet. (put the case in a reloading press, put big washer around the bullet, hold the bullet with pliers and pull) Seat a 150 grain Sierra MatchKing or Hornady match bullet right in the same case to the same OAL. No need to measure the powder or anything else. Your groups will be almost 1/2 the size of the combat bullet groups. This works the same in a tired old rack grade that shoots 8" with M-2 ball or a fresh match prepared Rifle with a new Douglas Ultramatch 6 groove barrel.

I never tried this with any third world cheap ammo. I would assume similar results.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Get ready for another addiction. One Garand will ultimately lead to another, and so on. make copies of everything and mail it in. Or better yet, go to the North Store at Camp Perry. I have never been there but really want to go (with $1000 or more in hand). If you want to confirm any question I think you can email them through their website. Oh ya, but a couple cases of the Greek M2 ball ammo. I was skeptical but surprised that it is good stuff.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    My wife and I made two one-day trips to Camp Perry from Evansville. We got up at 3AM and were up there about 1PM. I shopped for about an hour, we ate lunch at GreaseDonalds in Port Clinton then drove back home, arriving about 11PM. All the way home I could smell the old greasy/metal smell of my prize(s). :)

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    What can I expect?

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang/Ping!

:) kerchunk! (watch your thumb!)

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang/Ping!

:D kerchunk! (watch your thumb!)

Repeat until out of ammo.

(Garands rock. :rockwoot:)

ol' poke.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I love when people travel great distance and decide for ol reliable crapdonalds. Why not try something that you can't get from near home. Sry it's off topic, just reminds me of my last vacation.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    @Leo
    Mexican Match.

@mgderf
    There really isn't anyway of telling how well that rifle/ammo will shoot. The best thing for you to do is shoot it utilizing the steadiest platform you have and then judge your performance based on that.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Cant wait to get a Garand. I've got a 1903 that I absolutely love, I'm sure the garand will compare.

Both from WWII, but I love my Garand alot more.

picture.php

Top Bottom