• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Correct. If you would have read the OP's original post, he is looking for a barrel with a 1/7 twist vs. the A1 which has the 1/12 twist.

I did read it. Perhaps you did not read it correctly. He wants a "A1" BUT in a 1/7. A1 is a pencil barrel with a .625 front sight/gas block 1/12 or early 1/14. A2 is a semi heavy barrel with .750 gas 1/7. A1 barrel in 1/7 ,IE- pencil barrel and .625 gas is what our guy is asking about.

Last edited:

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I did read it. Perhaps you did not read it correctly. He wants a "A1" BUT in a 1/7. A1 is a pencil barrel with a .625 front sight/gas block 1/12 or early 1/14. A2 is a semi heavy barrel with .750 gas 1/7. A1 barrel in 1/7 ,IE- pencil barrel and .625 gas is what our guy is asking about.

Yep, I read it chief. The only place that has that profile(.625 1/7) is Brownell's and it is OOS. I referenced the GM barrels as that is the closest he could get for a reasonable price. I'm not new to the AR world:ingo:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Here is another option if you want to go the route of getting a complete gun. Looks like it is pretty close to what you want, with just a few parts here and there that are of a later style. I.O., inc has a poor reputation in the AK world for build quality. However, this is largely made from leftover Colt parts and I would guess they probably got the other parts from the same makers that anybody else would get parts from. It is also more reasonably priced, not saying it worth the gamble since I have never seen one up close, but just throwing out another option.

I.O. inc. AR-15A1

weenpeen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    That certainly seems intriguing, but I've never heard a single good thing about I.O. So that makes me a little hesitant. Not to mention, the barrel is not chrome lined.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    That certainly seems intriguing, but I've never heard a single good thing about I.O. So that makes me a little hesitant. Not to mention, the barrel is not chrome lined.

Non chrome lined barrels are more accurate and period correct, you just have to keep them clean. As far as the twist rate, 1/12 is optimal for 55 grain bullets, and served our military well for over 40 years. A CORRECT M16A1 clone SHOULD have a 1/12 barrel. A couple of good references are: retroblackrifle.com and ar15.com It IS much more fun AND satisfying to build hour own. I started off just wanting to build one Vietnam rifle lookalike, and am now in the process of building one of each AR style rifle that was used in Vietnam. I'm using all original parts except for the lowers and the fire control parts (which I have modified to semi auto). I have even gone as far as having the receivers engraved with the correct markings. It's all in how detailed and correct you want to be.

Top Bottom