• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Yesterday my son suprised me with a Rast and Gasser revolver Model 1898 8mm caliber. It appears to be in good shooting condition,but is missing the loading gate.Does anyone have any experience with these or know where I can find a loading gate?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    These are not in my area of expertise,[if I have one], but I've got a friend who collects a lot of old and unusual revolvers, so I'm aware of what you have. My guess is that you will not find one. You can do a bit of searching around and might get lucky, but doubtful. If you do, it may very well not fit anyway. Guns made back then often had a lot of hand fitting involved in the manufacture, even if they were made in an assembly line type of fashion. You are quite likely going to have to get someone to make one for you, and fit it to your gun. Not cheap. That type of smith is hard to find these days, and you'll still probably need another gun to use as an example. Let me check with that friend of mine and get some more info on those. There may be some hope here. I'll probably talk to him some time later today, and I'll make a note to ask. If he thinks there might be a source, or I can see one he may have, this might be doable.
    Jim

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I can make one if need be,but would need a existing one to get dimensions from.
    By the way,are there any machinists or toolmakers looking for work in the Miami county area?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've discovered a bit more after talking to that friend. Most of those are not terribly valuable. There are some small frame officers models that are apparently worth more however. Because of the 50 rule, I can't PM, but with some pics we may be able to narrow the model you have a bit. My buddy does not happen to have one right now, but knows someone who may not mind lending one to me if he has one to lend right now. This does not appear to be a simple gate, in that it disengages the trigger from the hammer while open. I'm also thinking that you are probably missing at least one more part on this, which would be the pin. If we locate one to use as a pattern, this should not be too bad. I'm guessing the gate was probably case colored as well. If so, I have a small furnace and the bone charcoal required, so that may be doable as well.
    Jim

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Here are a few pictures of his revolver.

13849126355_bfcbda1a3d_o.jpg

13849141955_6b004f9ce3_o.jpg

13849545784_95f2909dd9_o.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    I've sent these on over. I will probably hear if I have access to one as a model to build on. Oh, he did mention that they were typically armory produced. In this case the parts should be very close to identical. Once again, back then some hand fitting was probable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    OK. This is the more common of these revolvers. I've been told that puts value at around $500 give or take. With that known, are you still interested in the fix? I'm asking only because some might not be, based upon what this may entail. I haven't heard yet on availability of an example gun to work with, but I will continue to work this route if you're still game. I am. Not that I think the value will ultimately support this, but because I certainly enjoy the occasional tilt at the old windmill, and I think some things are just worth bringing back from the edge. Let me know.
    Luck,
    Jim

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I'm not really concerned with the value,just would like to make this a shooter.Checked Numrich and Sarco,no luck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    My friend struck out on the borrowing aspect. However, he's checking with someone else who may actually have some parts for sale. I'll let you know. I didn't figure you were too concerned on the value thing, but had to ask.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    No luck on parts. There is one more potential source that he will check, but doesn't sound promising. I'll only post again if we get something.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Here is a picture of my Papaw in WW2 Naples, Italy.....(He is the short guy on the far right with the "thousand yard stare" and the Beretta 1934 in it's holster hanging from his hip.) If you look carefully you can see his buddy next to him has a revolver like yours tucked in his belt...It had ivory grips and was "liberated" I assume...I know Papaw traded his M1 Carbine to another GI for the Beretta as he was in the Engineers and said he couldn't get any work done with that little carbine hanging off of his shoulder.....

Top Bottom