• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Please do not bring up the 1903 Springfield.

I've been doing my best to resist one of these beautiful firearms... and now the self control is under challenge!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    There is a date stamped on the bbl near the muzzle, but a lot of 03s were rebarreled during the early years of WWII. The above link will tell you when the receiver was actually made. I have some 03s with original bbls while some others have had new bbls mounted in WWII.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    J_Wales- don't look at the pictures you will get Springfield fever!:):
    OK it doesn't look like it was re-barreled because the date from the link matches the 08 on the barrel.
    Just wondering what the value of a fine gun like this would be, any ideas?
    It appears to be unfired is there any way to tell?
    347fmdv.jpg

30c6kbs.jpg

25i3p6x.jpg
    faint ink stamp, what does it say?
    Is the front sight shroud original, it doesn't match the fine look of the rest of the gun.(it looks cheap)
    1z2lpqp.jpg

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    There is pretty much no way it's unfired. The stock appears to have rebuild markings from
    Rock island and ogden arsenals. If the stock is original it's been through two rebuilds at least. Low number 1903's are also generally considered unsafe to shoot due to heat treating. It does look nice and the original barrel is a plus. Too bad someone refinished the stock.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There is pretty much no way it's unfired. The stock appears to have rebuild markings from
    Rock island and ogden arsenals. If the stock is original it's been through two rebuilds at least. Low number 1903's are also generally considered unsafe to shoot due to heat treating. It does look nice and the original barrel is a plus. Too bad someone refinished the stock.

Good points here, it is generally accepted that it is not safe to shoot '03's with a serial number below like 800,000....they had issues in the heat treating process on these rifles that led to chamber malfunctions...
    Nice looking rifle though:yesway:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The above posters pretty much said everything I was thinking. The general wear and stock being refinished pretty much ensures it has been fired. It looks like a very nice specimen of an 03 though. I'd keep it if I were you, but probably not shoot it. :twocents:

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Low number 1903's are also generally considered unsafe to shoot due to heat treating.

According to Hatcher the low number '03's with embrittled receivers were destroyed when all '03's were proof tested with the "blue pill" rounds. I don't know why this keeps cropping up. No one ever says anything about shooting Mausers though many may have been embrittled by the carburizing process used.

Top Bottom