• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FordMan79

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Southeast Indiana
    I am looking to mount a bi-pod on my new M1a. I was curious how other M1a owners have mounted bipods.

I see two options.

1) Replace front sling mount with rail and buy stud/rail adapter to mount bi-pod. I am just worried about this being stiff enough.
    2) Replace front sling mount with stud only to mount bi-pod. I loose the ability to have a standard sling.

Thoughts, suggestions? :dunno:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    You could also use the US M2 Bipod that clamps onto the bbl itself. It is a solid mounting but may effect accuracy. There is a mount the replaces the sling swivel with a small picatinny rail that allows you to use any mount you want. I'm going to pick one of those up one of these days.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It has been a while, so bear with me. The stock front swivel is riveted in place and has been known to pull out with a tight sling under match conditions.

You can buy a front sling swivel assembly that bolts in and it will not pull off the stock, no matter how tight your sling is.

I thought I bought both of mine from Brownells, but I just checked their catalog and couldn't find them. Maybe I got mine from, Fulton Armory? I don't remember. It is a common match mod for the M1A, though.

What you do, is to use a swivel stud on the rear mounting and the standard bolt that comes with the swivel assembly in the front.

This is the easiest way to use a bipod on the M1A. The M2 bipod attaches to the gas tube and is a heavy hog intended to allow full auto with the M14. It is also an option, although not a very good one, IMO

EDIT: I just looked at my M1A's. The swivel stud goes in the front hole, not the rear. I know you would have figured that out pretty quick.

On one of them, I just drilled out the front rivet and put in a swivel stud and nut. The other one has a replacement bolted in sling swivel. Whichever way you go, you have to grind things down so they aren't touching the gas cylinder inside the stock.

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a couple extra M1A swivels and a short picatinny rail. I might try to drill out the rivets and cut the rail down to the appropriate size and then use a couple small nuts n bolts to mount to the stock. Nothing to lose but time in my part.

Top Bottom