• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I bought and M 48 Mauser. The issue I am having is that I cannot remove the piece behind the front sight For disassembly. I can push the metal piece in on the band spring but not without a tool, but I cannot remove the front band. It doesn't budge one bit. I want to disassemble clean the cosmoline off of the barrel and oil the barrel under the wood. I have seen videos on YouTube of guys just pushing it in with the thumb and pulling on the band. For mine, not happening. Not even close. I have tried heating with a hair drier and pulling with hot pad without success. I don't get the feeling it's just caked on cosmoline. image.jpeg he barrel band spring is Very hard to push in all the way and requires a flat head screwdriver. It should NOT be this hard. I am concerned I will scratch the wood if the screwdriver slips. Would rather not do that. Suggestions or ideas as to what is going on?

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    They can be really hard sometime. It's ok to just leave it alone, shooting it will heat the cosmolene and cause it to run out. However, if you absolutely must get it off; get a couple of small pieces of wood, put one on the part you depress on the band spring and the other on the other side of the stock and then use a C-clamp to depress the band spring. Take your time, and make sure you have the wood pieces properly positioned so that you aren't marring anything. Also, make sure they are large enough to spread the force around enough to not leave any marks. Then, use a plastic hammer, piece of wood, or something else that won't mar the finish to gently tap the barrel band off.

Last edited:

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Dirt could have gotten behind the band spring. I used a pocket screwdriver and inserted it between the spring and band parallel with the spring. Use a small hammer and a plastic dowel to remove the band.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I had to use a hair dryer to loosen up the front band on by old k98. The heat softened up the old cosmoline and allowed the band to start sliding forward. Before that, it was like rubber cement under the band. Good luck!

Top Bottom