• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    M9 has the drawing numbers stamped on the individual parts. FS does not. Otherwise -to my knowledge- nothing.

That being said, someone smarter than me may come along and point out differences in materials used in building different pieces of the firearm. For instance, the M9 has a plastic trigger that I don't care for. I don't know if the current production FS has that or not.

In any event, the M9 is my EDC and I've practiced with it for years with no failures. A good choice IMHO.

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    M-9 has the "stack the snowman" style sight where's its just two dots you line on top of each other. Where the 92FS has the 3 dots sight. the grips screw are a flat head on the 92FS as the M9 has a Allen key type head. And the M9 has the stamping on it as its different in the 92FS

Also the obvious m9= "military" model
    92FS "civilian" model

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    M-9 has the "stack the snowman" style sight where's its just two dots you line on top of each other. Where the 92FS has the 3 dots sight. the grips screw are a flat head on the 92FS as the M9 has a Allen key type head. And the M9 has the stamping on it as its different in the 92FS

92FS "civilian" model

↑↑↑↑↑↑Somebody slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Ain't we smart here on INGO?

Oh yeah....... Welcome to INGO!

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

92FS "civilian" model

If you have allen head grip screws on an M9 they are not stock. I was a USAF CATM troop for a minute and all M9's came with the stock straight head grip screws.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Another difference is the dust covers, but one has to look REALLY close and some new model 92FS have the M9 dust covers... At least from my cursory glance at the actual guns.

And the backstrap radius under the beavertail.

I don't know if the current M9 or M9A1 issued to troops uses the plastic parts (guide rod, trigger, safety levers) or not.

agree the M9 should have slotted grip screws. agree with everything else posted.

-rvb

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I was a range coach while I was active. i don't remember any plastic but this was almost 5 yrs ago things could of changed. I sure did enjoy that M9 pretty easy to qual expert if you knew what you were doing. This is the next purchase on my list.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was a range coach while I was active. i don't remember any plastic but this was almost 5 yrs ago things could of changed. I sure did enjoy that M9 pretty easy to qual expert if you knew what you were doing. This is the next purchase on my list.

and existing inventory wouldn't have been modified. only newer guns (w/in last ~10 yrs) would have those plastic parts, if the contract specs were modified.

-rvb

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    the newer ones come stock with the allen head screws where the older models have the straight head screws.

Not to split hairs butm the M9 has the flat head grip screws. The M9 A1 has the upgrade to the allen head grip screws along with the rail on the dust cover. If you have a standard M9 with allen head grip screws they are after market and were added by the agency/armorer/user.

tbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    gosport area
    you are correct ,dragnut i carry the m-9 as my duty gun & a 92fs off duty,both shoot very well and are very dependable.i do like the sights & allen head grip screws on my m-9 but both work very well.happy trails

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Not to be a thread jack but I saw online from a supposed Beretta rep that the U.S military has renewed another contract for M9 pistols that extends to 2024. Any truth to this?

Also M9's aside from the markings have a straight dust cover and back strap as other's have mentioned. The slanted dust cover was intended to strengthen the frame's for pistols chambered in 40S&W and Beretta began to use the slanted frames on their 9mm pistols for standardization. I personally favor the older style pistols with straight dust covers/back straps.

Top Bottom