Machete edges - What grind would you do & why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I don't think I've seen this topic listed before and to be honest, it never really crossed my mind until recently. Since almost all new So. American machetes come with a rough factory grind, what grind would you put on the edge for cutting and why? I have seen some suggestions about using dual grinds on different locations of the blade. This got me curious as to what others are doing and for what reason.

Not too worried about zombies, but rather typical considerations that might develop during a lost-in-the-wild survival situation.

Look forward to reading the responses.

Thanks!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i can't remember his name but here is over on bladeforums and he is from brazil. he does a dual grind on his. the very lower portion he puts a scandi grind on for wood working and what not then i believe a convex for the upper half for chopping. me i am not that talented i just use the sharpmaker at 20 on each side. though i always carry a smaller knife for other chores so i don't need the dual grind

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    i can't remember his name but here is over on bladeforums and he is from brazil. he does a dual grind on his. the very lower portion he puts a scandi grind on for wood working and what not then i believe a convex for the upper half for chopping. me i am not that talented i just use the sharpmaker at 20 on each side. though i always carry a smaller knife for other chores so i don't need the dual grind

I think that's the same one I saw. His name was colhane or something like that? I thought that was a rather ingenious method to give some various capabilities to a blade. I suppose the downside is the scandi grind can get knicked up easier than the convex grind.

That's the first time I heard of doing this and wondered what some others might think of it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    When me and dad go out to our woods to chop grapevines down, we always just use a fine file... :dunno:

We don't have any high-dollar machetes either, ones an Ontario, and the other I think is an old GI issue..

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I will admit this is one tool I go the easy way on when it comes to sharpening. I generally use a Gerber pocket sharpener just hitting the edge when it starts dulling up. Work fast and easy and does a good job.

ZapSnap_003.png

papasmurf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2010
    Indy
    I have a cheap kuruki I sharpen it like I sharpen my hatchets and Ax. Dremel with a med-fine grinding wheel at top speed.

Top Bottom