• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Say your machine gun was destroyed in a house fire/natural disaster/car crash to or from the range to the point the receiver was toast, how screwed are you? Can you have the receiver rebuilt somehow as long as it is the same serial number? Just wondering. :dunno:

Pre-sample of course, not post sample.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Your screwed! There are three types of machine guns, transferable,(which I think your talking about), pre sample and post sample. Transferable is what you and I can buy. Samples, whether pre or post, can only be had by dealers. A pre sample can be kept after giving up your FFL. A post can't and requires a PD letter to buy.

As to your question, if you destroy it your done. If you break it you can fix it, but you can never replace it. That's my understanding of it, the big boys will be along shortly and correct me if I'm wrong.

pipelinen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2012
    Demotte
    Pretty well screwed unless it can be salvaged with the original serial number still intact. I did run across an instance years ago where a friend blew up a kac556f and ruger sent him back a brand new ac556f free of charge. I may be wrong but it seems to me they had the same serial number. I do know he didnt have to pay for another stamp. I have heard ruger stopped doing this. All I know is I keep my stuff safe from anything ever happening to it.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Just make sure your property insurance company knows the value of your machine gun. Document it, pay the small "rider" fee that they will charge, and if it ever gets destroyed, insist they reimburse you market value. Even if you are talking about a Mac10, machine guns are more expensive and harder to find then regular guns, and you should make sure your policy will cover them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just make sure your property insurance company knows the value of your machine gun. Document it, pay the small "rider" fee that they will charge, and if it ever gets destroyed, insist they reimburse you market value. Even if you are talking about a Mac10, machine guns are more expensive and harder to find then regular guns, and you should make sure your policy will cover them.

This is pretty much the route you'll have to go... Have a rider to cover full market replacement value (+ stamp, if they'll let you). Check the going prices ever quarter or so and update the policy as needed.

As much as I don't like letting an insurance company know that I own a machine gun (which I don't...) = should something happen to it in a home disaster, I'd rather be covered for the $5k - 50k replacement values.

(Also for the foil hatters - how much arm twisting would it take for an Administration to get insured firearms lists from insurance companies? ;) )

-J-

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    As someone else mentioned, there seems to be tons of anecdotal evidence that before 86 the ATF allowed instances of the gun being replaced as long as the same serial number was used. This was probably bending the law, but the end result was nothing that couldn't have occurred anyways. The owner of the firearm was just saved $200. At this point, allowing the manufacture of a new machine gun would violate the Hughes Amendment.

My question is, say the gun is really jacked up, but the serial number is still intact. How much of the receiver would have to be present that the atf would allow you to go ahead and fix it? Fifty percent?

(Also for the foil hatters - how much arm twisting would it take for an Administration to get insured firearms lists from insurance companies? ;) )

I don't think anyone should be too worried about Obama or any other administration getting a hold of a list of NFA firearms from insurance companies when he can strut right in and get the info from the DOJ.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't think anyone should be too worried about Obama or any other administration getting a hold of a list of NFA firearms from insurance companies when he can strut right in and get the info from the DOJ.

For NFA stuff - absolutely. It's already all gathered up and easily accessible.

But for "other things" not included in The Registry... Still wouldn't be that difficult.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    This is pretty much the route you'll have to go... Have a rider to cover full market replacement value (+ stamp, if they'll let you). Check the going prices ever quarter or so and update the policy as needed.

As much as I don't like letting an insurance company know that I own a machine gun (which I don't...) = should something happen to it in a home disaster, I'd rather be covered for the $5k - 50k replacement values.

-J-

If you are really worried about that, you might be able to get a "valuable property" rider. The way my insurance agent explained that to me is I can insure ANYTHING I own, I just have to tell them the amount of property I want to insure. I then document the items and keep the records showing that I own them (they said they typically like to see a recent photograph, along with any identifying information). I hold all of this documentation. If I ever need to make a claim under that rider, I submit all of my claim information, an investigator validates it, and I am issued my claim.

Now, I dont have a problem with disclosing my assets to my insurance company (especially since they dont require pictures, serial numbers, or make/model to be submitted, as long I retain that information myself) so I didnt do the "valuable property". It was more expensive, so I went with regular riders, one for firearms, one for jewelery, one for electronics, etc.

Top Bottom