• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I did a search and couldn't find anything on this so I hope I'm not repeating a question. I have my own CNC Mill and drew up the cad files for a lower AR receiver and am planning on machining my own lower. My question is since I'm not a dealer and the lower is whats considered the rifle, am I breaking any laws by making this? Again, I hope this hasn't been covered, just don't want to break any laws.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What you are considering doing is totally, absolutely, illegal. Unless you have the proper licenses.

Do not even think about doing it. The penalties are severe and inescapable.

I hope this helps.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Weird... because I thought making your own receiver was total fine and dandy providing it was in legal configuration when complete and it was for personal use - not for selling or making a profit.

Seems the AK builders do it all the time starting with a piece of sheet metal. :dunno:

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    If you are making one for your own use and not to sell you can legally make it. You can not make them to be sold without obtaining a 07 FFL.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Weird... because I thought making your own receiver was total fine and dandy providing it was in legal configuration when complete and it was for personal use - not for selling or making a profit.

Seems the AK builders do it all the time starting with a piece of sheet metal. :dunno:

I'm with you. I thought it is legal to make a firearm for personal, just like folding a piece of sheet metal into an AK receiver.

fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I thought it could go either way and I put a lot of hours into that drawing. Glad I didn't turn a nice piece of 7075 aluminum into a paper weight. It sucks to have all the tools to make something but the law gets in the way.

fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I didn't have any intentions of selling and knew I would need license for that, just wanted to make something I could shoot on my own.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    From the ATF FAQ

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - General

Q: Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105]

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I was under the impression that as long as you NEVER sell the weapon...you build any type of non NFA weapon you wish....however if it is your intent to sell it EVER....then you're breaking the law and must be a properly licensed FFL...but if it's solely for personal use you're clear

Top Bottom