• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I would love to see it as well. How did you go about making the drawings? Did you use calipers and measure a pre-existed lower?

fast_project

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2008
    I used a digitizing probe on an existing lower I already own. The probe pretty much runs back and forth touching the part and creates little cloud points which you can use to make a model in CAD. From there you can modify it anyway you want, even ad something to engrave. I am a student at Ivy Tech and am just learning how to do some of this stuff, but so far I can make pretty much anything I can measure. The probe is like cheating though. If anybody has ideas of something (within reason) they would like to see made, shout it out..

Ambu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Never question a machinists mind. It has a set of rules usable in our world but a concept formation and thought pattern all its own...:D

Haha I just questioned because I took a class where we dabbled in doing those sort of things. However, we were making simple things (like tools and such) not firearms. We would measure pre-existing items with the precision calipers and then make a 3-D model of it with our measurement and the 3-D printer would crank one out. They had a CNC machine but I got out of the class (terrible teacher!) before we ever got around to using it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I used a digitizing probe on an existing lower I already own. The probe pretty much runs back and forth touching the part and creates little cloud points which you can use to make a model in CAD. From there you can modify it anyway you want, even ad something to engrave. I am a student at Ivy Tech and am just learning how to do some of this stuff, but so far I can make pretty much anything I can measure. The probe is like cheating though. If anybody has ideas of something (within reason) they would like to see made, shout it out..

There's also quite a few blueprints and plans out there to double check, stumbled upon many last night when looking for a simple side view of a lower to lay out some engraving artwork...
    Some sites charge for them, but they can also be found for free, though often not as high quality or resolution, but still good enough to check dimensions with.

Top Bottom