• SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    scratch that KokomoDave...

I think this is how I'm going to do it.

I can grind everything in a spin fixture like the electrode model shown, everything should be in relation to each other and concentric. The bigger square toward the rear will allow me a good flat to indicate off of so that I'm oriented correctly. The smallest diameter towards the square part on the end that will actually be burning the feature will allow me to center find in the hole.

cxlqkYX.png

IxYkOLL.png

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Just a quick update. I finished up cutting the slot in the back end. Went pretty well kinda had to do some fitment. The model I found on grabcad isn't entirely correct, been updating it as I go.

Dt5glmp.jpg

Z7dchLq.jpg

uiMzQFv.jpg

TindHIH.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    another update on my progress. Decided to do a little of the "appearance" work. Changed it up from the original design I have pictured. Decided I didn't want the big through cuts, little too flashy for me. It looks a little offset at the moment, still need to run the big chamfer across the top. Leaving the corners for my last couple operations. I cheated and let the CNC take over here.

kTNZQC7.jpg

BBUtRIJ.jpg

R9BhQiP.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Looking great! I can't wait to see it assembled and firing one day!

It's not too far, I'll get some cutters ordered today. hopefully they'll be in next week to do the final cuts.

Then, I've got to make the electrode for the firing pin....... that should be an interesting operation.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I told him you all would welcome him...

Great job Lil' Spook!!!! Tell the old man his old hunting buddy said hello and you and your cousin come see me...It's been a spell.....

Thank you, will do brother... It has been a bit we need to make our way down.. Been staying out of all the shops so I don't get tempted to spend any of my house down payment I've been saving hahaha.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Made the electrode for the firing pin today. Everything should be relation to each other, running concentric and perpendicular, since all operations were done in one fixture without tearing it down. (In theory anyways).

The small flats at the top will allow me to indicate it in and have it clocked it the right orientation.

Grinding graphite is for the birds

r0AolTx.jpg

i9g0ZyO.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have no real clue about what that means, but it sounds (a) difficult and (b) important.

Looks amazing.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    I have no real clue about what that means, but it sounds (a) difficult and (b) important.

Looks amazing.

What I mean by "relation" is that every geometric feature should be tied to each other (my best attempt at explaining that).

Everything being concentric means everything is running on a axis, the axis runs dead center on the electrode. (first picture) Reason being is that the smallest diameter portion of the electrode will be used to center find the firing pin hole. (second picture) Not removing the piece from the fixture and doing all operations at once reduces chance of error. Perpendicularity mean square pretty much, Just GD&T meaning of it. The flat faces will be 90 degrees perpendicular to the cylinders. (third picture) After checking everything I'm within +-.0002"

cLcPPBA.png

WLRxuwb.png

EVsK3Jh.png

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Crossed a pretty major bridge today on the build. I burned the hole for the firing pin. Over all it went well, but like any tool maker you nitpick yourself. Everything lines up good but the hole appear to be about .003-.005" to the right too much.

Might have had a bur in the hole somewhere when it center found or something was a touch out of square, hard saying really.

Functionally it will work as intended, the gun wont have 1000s of rounds put through it, going to be more of a novelty. So I'm not to concerned on that part.. Just irritating for me and not acceptable in my opinion.

Sinker EDM work isn't my strong suit, its something I need to work on more. Plus me and this particular machine just flat out don't get along, convinced it hates me haha. I know I hate it, feelings should be mutual.

Not putting the blame on the machine, it Definitely wasnt an error with the machine. It was error on my part somewhere, just not entirely sure where

UNuFIRc.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom