Machinist Question: What is a "Gage" (Instead of Gauge)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Granted my forte is not machining, or even reloading, and I can always learn more, but what the heck is a "gage"?

Ordering a case gauge (or so I thought) from Dillon and find no "gauges" what so ever, but do find "gages".

Now I know from the law that "a gage" is a token of definance or a pledge of performance on a contract. What is a "gage" in machining?

Is this just an error on the Dillon website?:dunno:

Or, is this a machining term of which I am ignorant?

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Is seems to me I read somewhere that either Starret or Brown & Sharp started using "Gage" long ago to describe micrometers and other precision measuring instruments.:twocents:.Maybe cheaper to telegraph,or to differentiate one product from another

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    This came from Yahoo Answers:

Gage is an instrument used to measure magnitude or position; gages may be used to measure the elevation of water surface, the velocity of flowing water ...

Guage is an estimate: judge tentatively or form an estimate of (quantities or time); "I estimate this chicken to weigh three pounds"
    a measuring instrument for measuring and indicating a quantity such as the thickness of wire or the amount of rain etc.
    rub to a uniform size; "gauge bricks"
    accepted or approved instance or example of a quantity or quality against which others are judged or measured or compared
    determine the capacity, volume, or contents of by measurement and calculation; "gauge the wine barrels"
    the distance between the rails of a railway or between the wheels of a train
    measure precisely and against a standard; "the wire is gauged"
    adapt to a specified measurement; "gauge the instruments"
    the thickness of wire
    mix in specific proportions; "gauge plaster"
    bore: diameter of a tube or gun barrel

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    definitely not the same.

Gauge is typically thickness of material.

Gage is a measurement device used to show 'something' (ex: Air pressure).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    definitely not the same.

Gauge is typically thickness of material.

Gage is a measurement device used to show 'something' (ex: Air pressure).
    Nope, totally interchangeable, as a retired Engineer that was the Management representative for QS-9000 and ISO standards, I was responsible for Gauge (Gage) tracking /calibration documents (and the auditor would catch any non-crossed T's or dots missing on I's, Either is acceptable spelling for the Noun describing an device used to measure an attribute, or as a verb meaning to use a Gage (Gauge) to determine a measurement. IE: Please use the No / No go gage's (Gauge's) to measure the chamber of this rifle. or Please Gage (Gauge) the thickness of this material.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Gage and Gauge are used for the same thing. Just as mold and mould. As an engineer, I learned gauge and mould twenty some years ago. Now it saves a keystroke to spell gage or mold.

Top Bottom