MAG Tactical. Any Reviews? First Hand Expirience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Last week my cousin and I walked into HCT in Bargersville to kill some time. While I was in there one of the guys behind the counter handed me an "ultra light AR" (in his words). When he handed it to me it felt like a feather compared to my Colt LE6920. I have been kicking around the idea of picking up another AR to use as my primary AR for a while now. I have mainly looked at Daniel Defense and LWRC. After holding that MAG Tactical rifle I think I might have to add that to my list of considerations.

Does anyone have any first hand shooting experience with this brand/rifle?

Is lighter better? As far as shooting goes? (obviously lighter is better for carrying)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    MAG stands for mag-nesium, thus making it lighter. I've messed with a few, they seem fine. Some have problems with the finish coming off prematurely. Personally, I'd hold out for the DD or LWRC.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    You can't go wrong with either. But an M6 is close to the top of my wish list right since I have a suppressor on its way. Nothing wrong with a direct impingement rifle though.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    You can't go wrong with either. But an M6 is close to the top of my wish list right since I have a suppressor on its way. Nothing wrong with a direct impingement rifle though.

I am curious if DD has any plans to come out with a piston rifle in the near future. I had planned on going up to the NRA convention and would have asked them but a project at the house chewed up my whole weekend.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Piston ARs are cool but like tater said, nothing wrong with DI guns.

I love my POF, but it having proprietary parts means that I really need to buy spares for "just in case" events. Good thing about DI guns, parts are everywhere.

That being said, POF has an entry level AR now, a good amount lighter than their P415s. I thought it was slick.

LWRC lines are awesome though

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Piston ARs are cool but like tater said, nothing wrong with DI guns.

I love my POF, but it having proprietary parts means that I really need to buy spares for "just in case" events. Good thing about DI guns, parts are everywhere.

That being said, POF has an entry level AR now, a good amount lighter than their P415s. I thought it was slick.

LWRC lines are awesome though

I have a Colt LE6920 with Magpul furniture. Great rifle. I am just kicking around the idea of getting something a little lighter to add to my collection. I have also considered a Tavor over an AR.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    I have a Colt LE6920 with Magpul furniture. Great rifle. I am just kicking around the idea of getting something a little lighter to add to my collection. I have also considered a Tavor over an AR.

A Tavor isn't going to be any lighter. They are chunky butts. But that really only a factor in carrying it. Once you shoulder it feels like a five or six pound rifle. Bullpup magic :)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I have a couple MT lowers and plan on building a lightweight upper soon. If you got the chance to lift the rifle at the NRA show, you'll understand how impressive it is. My lowers are in great shape and built up fine. A friend had one with an issue and they're taking care of it.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have a couple MT lowers and plan on building a lightweight upper soon. If you got the chance to lift the rifle at the NRA show, you'll understand how impressive it is. My lowers are in great shape and built up fine. A friend had one with an issue and they're taking care of it.

I held it at my LGS. I was just curious about their notoriety and reliability. I wasn't a huge fan of the rail so maybe building an AR using their lower and DD upper would be a better idea. I wonder how the weight of an LWRC, DD, and Mag Tac stack up against each other.... Looking that up now. hmm

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The LWRC DI rifle is SWEET! You should check it out! You get a whole lot of gun for the $$

rmg200

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If I could get any rifle right now it would probably be the LWRC Piston with the fluted barrel. Something about that gun just so beautiful.

cqcn88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've been running a bcm upper on a mag tactical lower for about a year now. If you're all particular about your rifles looking pristine don't get the mag tactical, as mentioned the finish absolutely does not hold up. I personally don't care if the guns I train with look a little rough. I have another lower that I'll eventually build another gun on. I have no reservations as far as durability/performance.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    The LWRC DI rifle is SWEET! You should check it out! You get a whole lot of gun for the $$

I didn't think that the LWRC DI's were available yet. Why would you choose the LWRC DI over an LWRC piston gun? I am not opinionated on DI vs Piston AR's. ALl I've known are Colt M4's (hence why my first and only personal AR so far is ..... a Colt M4). Piston AR's are definitely something I have considered which is what got me looking into LWRC's. Before seeing this LWRC DI had I chosen to go DI over piston I would probably lean back towards Daniel Defense. IDK why, that would just be my first reaction.. enough of me rambling. Hopefully you can wade thru this mess of a post (working on my first coffee now) and let me know your thoughts.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Anyone happen to know if those Mg lowers are alloyed with anything to make them a bit stronger than Mg is on it's own?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The biggest advantage I can see with DI over a piston is commonality with parts. They're also a good bit lighter. A piston is going to run much cleaner (as the old saying goes, it doesn't **** where it eats), and also run cooler. Piston rifles are also much more pleasant to shoot suppressed too, because the gas is farther from your face. A PRI Gus Buster helps though. A properly lubed AR carried with the dust cover closed is extremely reliable, but I much prefer piston rifles over DI.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I didn't think that the LWRC DI's were available yet. Why would you choose the LWRC DI over an LWRC piston gun? I am not opinionated on DI vs Piston AR's. ALl I've known are Colt M4's (hence why my first and only personal AR so far is ..... a Colt M4). Piston AR's are definitely something I have considered which is what got me looking into LWRC's. Before seeing this LWRC DI had I chosen to go DI over piston I would probably lean back towards Daniel Defense. IDK why, that would just be my first reaction.. enough of me rambling. Hopefully you can wade thru this mess of a post (working on my first coffee now) and let me know your thoughts.
    It may not be available yet actually. And I just mean if you did decide you want DI it seems to be a heck of a rifle. Not saying it would be my first choice though. I just think LWRC rifles are fantastic, then again so are DD rifles like you mention. They are all built on the same design when it comes down to it... And yes I realize how stupid of a comment that is, but at a certain point one quality rifle compared to another just becomes personal preference.

ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    I have 4 mt lowers and one of their lightweight uppers. I haven't had any issues with them at all. I have a Ruger Sr556 upper on one with around 2k through it

Top Bottom