• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Today I finally got around to shooting my new AR today and could only get a few shots off before the magazine would fall out. I inserted it with the bolt open and even tugged on it to make sure it was in there and also had someone else take a look at it and it would keep falling out. I have a Core 15 that came with a Hexmag and I have emailed both companies just so they know of the issue but if anyone here can help me out and it's something that is an easy fix that would be best.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Usually a simple fix.

Press the mag release in. On the opposite side of the lower, grab the lever that sticks out and pull it as far out as it will go. While maintaining that pressure holding it out away from the receiver, turn it clockwise two rotations and carefully let it back down so that it goes back into the slot cut out for it on the receiver.

Insert a mag and make sure it will still fall free.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I was looking at the hexmag website, and they do have a funky looking place for the magazine catch to lock up. That could be it. Or maybe you got a bad apple. They have a lifetime warranty, maybe they will replace it. Does it look like the polymer is gouged where the mag catch would lock up?

Also, are you loading a 30 round mag with the bolt to the rear, then closing the bolt on the first round? Or are you trying to do 30+1? Most rifles don't like that.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I would toss whatever a Hexmag is in the garbage can, hit a show this weekend and buy a handful of GI Mags.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The biggest marketing feature of Hexmag is that they have different colored followers and base plates so you can better organize by caliber. Might be convenient. It seems to make sense at least, but I've never used them.

why-guess-750-wide.jpg

hexmag_5.jpg

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I know it's cool to rock the plastic fantastic stuff, but it's hard to beat the GI mags.

I can honestly say, I have never owned a plastic M16 magazine.. If it doesn't say Colt or one of Uncle Sams contractors names on the bottom, I don't buy or own it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hexmag? Are those like those awful Canadian mags?

1. Drive to Lowe's.
    2. Buy 24 oz. framing hammer.
    3. Smash Hexmags to component parts and beyond.
    4. Buy D&H mags: AR15 Magazines

Remember orlite mags? Those were like owning a single shot. They were really fun when the lip cracked off and they tried to put 20 rounds in the chamber at the same time.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    These are currently the only magazines I own. I have 2 of them and they both do it. I don't really care if they are plastic, aluminum or wood. As long as it runs properly is all I care about. After I first picked up my AR I checked out the magazine online for any more information and had seen that IV8888 had ran them in magazine torture test with no problem I figured they would be good to go. Now I don't know if he just got a lucky one or my bad luck is showing up.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I've seen alot of things on late night infomercial TV, reading adds in magazines, the burgers and eggs still stick and my Weiner never made it to Holmes proportions.

Really hit a show this weekend and get yourself a handful of GI Mags.
    If you can't afford a few I'm sure if you posted a shipping address one or two would mysteriously arrive.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    I doubt I will be able to hit any shows this weekend and if any mysterious strangers feel like sending one or two then they can pm me for an address. I don't want any of you sending me raw bacon in the mail or something.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I doubt I will be able to hit any shows this weekend and if any mysterious strangers feel like sending one or two then they can pm me for an address. I don't want any of you sending me raw bacon in the mail or something.

Pfft... like anyone on INGO is going to give you part of their bacon stash. Mags yes :yesway:. Bacon no :nono:.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    The biggest marketing feature of Hexmag is that they have different colored followers and base plates so you can better organize by caliber. Might be convenient. It seems to make sense at least, but I've never used them.

why-guess-750-wide.jpg

hexmag_5.jpg

That is a good idea, IMO. I wonder, could a guy use steel lettering stamps, heated under flame, to lightly melt caliber into his plastic magazine bottom/side?

Top Bottom