• ...and so much more!
  • LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've never heard of it until your thread here. For (myself) an infant of metallurgy, it sounds fascinating.

I'm sure you've probably read this:https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

And his enthusiasm alone peaked my interest. But my scepticism meter is always running.

Anytime somebody gets restless and wants to make their own contribution to something well established, like this alloy for knives, it can go a couple different ways.

Could be great.

Could be hype.

It has my attention for a little bit, anyway. Something so specialized makes it difficult to grow your own.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I didn't have any experience with it until I bought a leatherman arc. It's been great so far! Definitely the best knife blade a leatherman has ever contained.

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I drank the kool-aid! This knife is very rapidly becoming a go too. I am planning to get it pork skinning duty later this winter in Florida.
    Half Face Blades, 4.5" Skinner, MagnaCut steel.

Attachments

• 3923790558.jpg
      3923790558.jpg
      246.3 KB · Views: 37
    • 3923781064.jpg
      3923781064.jpg
      270.3 KB · Views: 34
    • 3923826005.jpg
      3923826005.jpg
      215.9 KB · Views: 37
    • 3923760872.jpg
      3923760872.jpg
      242.7 KB · Views: 36

Edged Tools

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 16, 2022
    Ft Wayne
    I've never heard of it until your thread here. For (myself) an infant of metallurgy, it sounds fascinating.

I'm sure you've probably read this:https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/03/25/cpm-magnacut/

And his enthusiasm alone peaked my interest. But my scepticism meter is always running.

Anytime somebody gets restless and wants to make their own contribution to something well established, like this alloy for knives, it can go a couple different ways.

Could be great.

Could be hype.

It has my attention for a little bit, anyway. Something so specialized makes it difficult to grow your own.
    :+1: for knife steel nerds

Most blade steels are all really good. They all have their own advantages.

I do like my MagnaCut blade but I’ve not really used it a ton. It seems to have really good edge retention so far, but it’s mainly been my box opener and cutter

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I didn't have any experience with it until I bought a leatherman arc. It's been great so far! Definitely the best knife blade a leatherman has ever contained.
    I saw those being advertised. Is it just one blade that is MagnaCut? Or multiples?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Well, some that have less edge retention are really quick and easy to resharpen. So there are advantages just depends on what you’re looking for in the knife.
    Well, you might think that. Except this one, particular POS doesn't sharpen easily, AND won't hold an edge once it is.**

Manufacturer: You really need to "hit" on at least ONE of those two.

**ETA: And yeah, I'd have once said the two were almost completely mutually offsetting.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    A lot of friends of mine on Book of Faces are real knifemakers that do it for a living. Not many like Magnacut because of voids, warped bevels, etc. You can read for yourself and make up your own mind. I am like Switzerland on the manner because most everything I make has nonferrous blades, is forged steel or uber high-end ss plus all I make are tactical stabby pokey things.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    A lot of friends of mine on Book of Faces are real knifemakers that do it for a living. Not many like Magnacut because of voids, warped bevels, etc. You can read for yourself and make up your own mind. I am like Switzerland on the manner because most everything I make has nonferrous blades, is forged steel or uber high-end ss plus all I make are tactical stabby pokey things.
    LOL Facebook a basin of truth!

This is the first negative I have seen. My understanding is that it has the toughness of CPM V4 and the stainlessness of CPM 20VC. Since it was developed in 2021 I think it more likely some have not learned the right forging process for this steel as any fault in the steel itself.

Since so many high end knife makers are using this steel I will weigh the evidence accordingly.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    LOL Facebook a basin of truth!

This is the first negative I have seen. My understanding is that it has the toughness of CPM V4 and the stainlessness of CPM 20VC. Since it was developed in 2021 I think it more likely some have not learned the right forging process for this steel as any fault in the steel itself.

Since so many high end knife makers are using this steel I will weigh the evidence accordingly.
    They are only using it because of demand. It has it's drawbacks as does any steel. My friends are indeed the high end makers you talk about and many are considered either living legends or pioneers in knifemaking.
    FB isn't just full of baloney all the time. I am not a Guild member but they are. I learned how to properly grind by Harold "Kit" Carson (RIP) CMSGT of CRKT and Buck fame. I learned how to grind Stellite by George Young(RIP) who was a tool and die maker at GM. By trade I was a millwright in that same factory as George and we worked together on different projects. I am a respected member of the Usual Suspect Network. I have attended Blade for many decades and quarts of pimp juice. I might know some people who know some people.

I knew some fan of the new stuff would show up. Google-fu Magnacut if you feel like reading a bit.

Last edited:

SmolderOutdoors

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Westfield
    I recently got one from a small knife maker. Impressed so far! Made quick work field dressing a deer. Split through the pelvis with it and it’s still razor sharp. IMG_0627.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpeg
      IMG_0626.jpeg
      795 KB · Views: 3

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I picked up a magnacut Spyderco PM2 blem. Apparently it is easy to warp in production, spyderco had a good selection of blem warped blade pm2's for sale. That said, it has become a regular in my carry rotation. Stays sharp, pretty easily touched up. I did have to reprofile the tip after I used it incorrectly (utm round failed to extract, i helped it...)
    That said, it probably would have popped the tip off regardless of what steel it was with the pm2's thin tip.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom