• ...and so much more!
  • mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Lets say hypothetically you found a few handguns. What to do? I think there could be a few options:

1. Hand them straight over to IMPD.
    2. Clean em up and put em in your safe, then email the serial numbers to IMPD to see if any are stolen/wanted.
    3. Just shut up and keep em.
    4. List them on the INGO classifieds as LNFIR "Like New Found In River"

What would you do?

:ingo:

From the videos I saw, the recovered guns would not be safe to fire. So I would turn them in to LEO. If I found a good one, I'd still be curious how it got there, and why. Especially under a bridge.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Lets say hypothetically you found a few handguns. What to do? I think there could be a few options:

1. Hand them straight over to IMPD.
    2. Clean em up and put em in your safe, then email the serial numbers to IMPD to see if any are stolen/wanted.
    3. Just shut up and keep em.
    4. List them on the INGO classifieds as LNFIR "Like New Found In River"

What would you do?

:ingo:

Save them for one of those gun "buy back" programs. No questions asked, correct?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Interesting, but kinda creepy. I'm always kinda worried about what's in the water that I can't see... When wading in the river, I have this fear that it's not rocks I'm stepping on, but possibly a skull or something... :nailbite:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    #4, Must see driver's license, concealed weapons permit, bill of sale will be required, have at least 500 quality posts, no negative rep, credit score over 700, 3 references from forum mods, must meet within 10 miles, on a 3 rd Thursday of a month with an "r" in it.

Don

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting, but kinda creepy. I'm always kinda worried about what's in the water that I can't see... When wading in the river, I have this fear that it's not rocks I'm stepping on, but possibly a skull or something... :nailbite:

Well, skulls aren't magnetic (unless poor Urich had a steel plate in his head), so... :):

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Well, skulls aren't magnetic (unless poor Urich had a steel plate in his head), so... :):

I know, but my point is that there are creepy things in the water! Something magnetic could be attached to something creepy. I love water, but an overactive imagination probably isn't helping me...lol.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know, but my point is that there are creepy things in the water! Something magnetic could be attached to something creepy. I love water, but an overactive imagination probably isn't helping me...lol.

Oh I know what you mean! That's why when I go swimming off our boat, I make sure I'm in water that's deep enough so that there's NO chance that I'm gonna touch the bottom. :):

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Let me tell you about swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and having things bump into you, big things with teeth or long pointy tails with venom. Nothing like watching a six foot gator go by ten feet away. Goosebumps in ninety degree weather is a thrill.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Let me tell you about swimming in the Gulf of Mexico and having things bump into you, big things with teeth or long pointy tails with venom. Nothing like watching a six foot gator go by ten feet away. Goosebumps in ninety degree weather is a thrill.

Yeah, NO. :): "Jaws" ruined ocean swimming for me I think.

Funny thing... Had a lady and her daughter come visit me from Australia (where everything can kill you) and we went down to Lake Monroe. We were swimming when her daughter (age 7 at the time) was going to go up the ladder into the boat. All of a sudden she starts letting out these blood-curdling screams. A piece of rope tied to the ladder had brushed up against her and she thought it was a jelly fish.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I've swam in the Gulf. Lived in La for a short while, used to go to Grand Isle. Didn't see gators there, but other places I sure did! The dolphins are fun. I enjoyed La, but now that I'm older and not so slim, I don't think I'd like that humidity.

IndyColtsFan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    After watching some of these videos last summer, I bought a 550 lb magnet. Have used it several times from my kayak, caught some fishing gear, nothing fantastic yet. It is fun though.

Don

So, scary things in the water aside, I'm definitely intrigued by magnet fishing. Is there a downside to buying a bigger magnet? Hypothetically, if you were to use a 1000# magnet and somehow snagged a car in the bottom of a quarry, would the magnet require 1000# of force to disengage? Would you be at risk of having to cut your line and abandon your magnet if you hook onto something too heavy to pull in?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    We are going to be in Wisconsin later this year and I really bought them for that. So far I just got the kids their magnets and ropes. I am still trying to figure out which ones I want to go with but I am pretty sure I am just going to get a 1,000 plus one for me. I bought my son the 330 pound one and today at work stuck it to the celling beam. I was definitely not something you were getting off easy.

Not looking to strike it rich but rather have fun with the kids.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So, scary things in the water aside, I'm definitely intrigued by magnet fishing. Is there a downside to buying a bigger magnet? Hypothetically, if you were to use a 1000# magnet and somehow snagged a car in the bottom of a quarry, would the magnet require 1000# of force to disengage? Would you be at risk of having to cut your line and abandon your magnet if you hook onto something too heavy to pull in?

So while not an expert as best I can tell you are looking at $50 to $100 for a 1,000 magnet. I know guys that have lost more fishing lures than that. Must people are not tossing those magnets in that deep of water I don't think. I guess I would just leave it there and buy another, I am sure it happens. Overall cheap fun I am sure.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Love swimming in the Gulf. Had a big sea turtle pop up about 10 feet away from me last time. Gave me a thrill until I realized what it was, then the cool factor kicked in. Have seen Dolphins and rays many times. Used to see Wolf eels diving in Puget Sound. Technically they are a fish, nice spotted grey color. Can be 6 feet long with big teeth.

Don

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    So while not an expert as best I can tell you are looking at $50 to $100 for a 1,000 magnet. I know guys that have lost more fishing lures than that. Must people are not tossing those magnets in that deep of water I don't think. I guess I would just leave it there and buy another, I am sure it happens. Overall cheap fun I am sure.

$50-100! Let's be honest that's a single range trip for us. I would be more than happy to spend that, even if I lost the magnet after a couple hours of fun with my girls. Heck, taking then out to chuck e cheese cost more and is less memorable. I am looking at a couple for casual fun this summer.

Top Bottom