• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    I have some small pistol magnum primers. I was wondering if they are safe to use for a 40 caliber? I am using a 180 grain lead wadcutter with a No. 5 powder at 5.5 grains (i think, i can't remember off the top of my head). but basically, what happens when you use a magnum primer instead of a regular primer?

smith52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Kosciusko County
    When using a Magnum primer in a standard cartridge you back the powder charge off a bit. I back my charge off about 10% percent then work it back up. Magnum primers in standard cartridges sometimes will unseat the bullet before the powder gets a good burn and you may notice some unburned powder in your firearm and/or empty cases, when I see that I use the last powder charge that didn't do it. Be Safe!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Honestly, the 40S&W, depending on the firearm you are shooting it in, is the WORST caliber to fool around with changes in the recipe.

If you have an unsupported chamber, the increase of pressure from a magnum primer MAY push you over the edge and you will have a KB sure as shootin'.

You can do as has been stated above, some folks even run Small Rifle Primers in their 40S&W loads. They usually have a custom barrel or a fully supported chamber too! ;)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Honestly, the 40S&W, depending on the firearm you are shooting it in, is the WORST caliber to fool around with changes in the recipe.

THE worst, probably not. A bad one, certainly. Use the right primers from the get-go. Makes reading load data much easier.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    THE worst, probably not. A bad one, certainly. Use the right primers from the get-go. Makes reading load data much easier.

The reason I made that statement is because of how many times a FACTORY load has had issues in an unsupported chamber. What other cartridge has that reputation? Maybe, maybe, the 9mm, but that is in the same platform of firearm.

I am not bashing the caliber, I really, really, like it. I'm not bashing any brand of firearms either, I own several that have had the reputation in the past. You just gotta know what you are dealing with so you can deal with it properly.

If you have a Lyman manual, is there another caution like what is found in the prelude to the 40S&W anywhere in it? Um, not that I found.

The 38Super maybe. Try to find ammo for that on the shelf! ;)

I have loaded successfully and unsuccessfully for this cartridge. Learnt a thing or two along the way! ;)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The reason I made that statement is because of how many times a FACTORY load has had issues in an unsupported chamber. What other cartridge has that reputation? Maybe, maybe, the 9mm, but that is in the same platform of firearm.

I am not bashing the caliber, I really, really, like it. I'm not bashing any brand of firearms either, I own several that have had the reputation in the past. You just gotta know what you are dealing with so you can deal with it properly.

If you have a Lyman manual, is there another caution like what is found in the prelude to the 40S&W anywhere in it? Um, not that I found.

The 38Super maybe. Try to find ammo for that on the shelf! ;)

I have loaded successfully and unsuccessfully for this cartridge. Learnt a thing or two along the way! ;)

I agree, it's a great caliber. And I certainly didn't mean anything by my last comment. It's just that a 32ACP or a 380 with a mag primer could certainly be worse.

Glocks get a bad rap for their 'unsupported chambers.' They're actually only partially unsupported, but I digress....

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    it on a glock, so i wont play with play things. Id hate to have to go back to shooting a pistol with my right hand because i blew off my left.
    thanks
    and semper fi skip

OOORRAAAAHHHHH, brother! :D

A Glock can be safely loaded for, and even with magnum primers, adjustments just have to be made so you don't lose being ambidexterous! :D

Willing to help, as I said, I have loaded successfully for a Glock 22 for a few years now. In fact, I gave that firearm, and a Square Deal B to son in law #2 and he is using both!

Again, it is like any tool. If we know that hitting something with a hammer is going to hurt it, we just don't hit it with a hamme. Now if it was a nail, and supposed to be hit with a hammer..........................Whole 'nuther story!

So..............let me know!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I have some small pistol magnum primers. I was wondering if they are safe to use for a 40 caliber? I am using a 180 grain lead wadcutter with a No. 5 powder at 5.5 grains (i think, i can't remember off the top of my head). but basically, what happens when you use a magnum primer instead of a regular primer?

I had the same issue when I found a couldn't-pass-it-up deal on Federal small pistol magnum primers. Here's the procedure:
    Start with a greatly reduced powder charge, say 4.0 to 4.5 grains (assuming you are using 5.5 grains, currently.)
    Load 2 or three rounds each in 0.2 grain increments to find where the gun will function and not function.
    Bump that powder charge about 0.3 grains, and you will have a mild but reliable load that works well in your gun.

My experience with the magnum primers in .40 cal. 180 gr. jacketed bullets is 3.2 grains Titegroup vs. 3.7 grains with non-magnum primers, i.e., reduced the charge 0.5 grains with magnum primers.
    Your experience will, likely, not be exactly the same.

jodus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    new castle
    i recently chronographed my 45 using 5.3 grains of Win 231 and a 230 hardball, switching from large primers to magnum primers and the difference for MY load was 50 feet per second. it was just something i was curious about

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Winchester is now selling primers for large pistol that they claim work for both standard and magnum loads. I'm trying some out.

That isn't new news, friend. They have done that for quite a while now. They do work very well and I think this is part of the confusion when primers are mentioned. "If one can work for both, why does it matter which one I use." kind of thing!

Across the chronograph, you can tell a big difference between standard and magnum primers with slow powders. Winchester Large for both are good for slower pistol powders.

Hope this helps.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Lots of stuff I haven't seen isn't news. I just thought it was interesting considering the controversy magnum vs. standard primers usually generates. I see it as a welcome reduction in the types of primers I need to keep around.

Top Bottom