• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anyone know anything about this gun: reliability, etc.?
    I can't find anything negative about it online.
    Thinking of it for a range gun 9mm.
    It is a Walther P99 clone "upgrade" from what I've read.

Magnum-Research-MR9-Eagle-Handgun-600x356.jpg
    8143371_02_magnum_research_mr9_640.jpg

Read more: https://www.ammoland.com/2017/02/magnum-research-mr9-eagle-handgun-review/#ixzz5AnWBLG9l
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution
    Follow us: @Ammoland on Twitter | Ammoland on Facebook

Magnum Research MR9 Eagle Pistol Specifications:
    Model MRFA915F | MRFA910F
    Caliber 9mm
    Type Locked breech semiautomatic
    Barrel Length 4” / 10.2 cm
    Overall Length 7.13” / 18.1 cm
    Height 5.31” / 13.5 cm
    Slide Width 1.28” / 3.25 cm
    Construction Black polymer frame, 416 stainless steel slide
    Finish Textured polymer frame, matte stainless slide w/ laser engraved markings
    Trigger Double Action/Single Action (DA/SA) with a decocker safety button on top of slide
    Trigger Pull 8.5 lbs (Double-Action)
    Weight (Empty Magazine) 24.8 oz. / 703 g
    Magazine weight 2.8 ounces/79 grams
    Rifling 1 in 10” RH Twist, 6 grooves/ 25.4 cm
    Sights White three-dot, fully adjustable rear sight for windage, replaceable front sight blades for different heights
    Sight Radius 6.26” / 15.9 cm
    Safeties Manual decocker/Striker block, safety decocker button, internal striker drop plunger, Internal trigger safety
    Magazines 2 – 15 Round (MRFA915F)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    My experience with their customer support will keep me from ever owning another magnum research. Sent in a 1911 to have the palm safety refitted (was not to spec, it would push into the frame leaving you with a cut on your palm after a few magazines.) Explained in detail with pictures and got it back exactly how I sent it to them, only dirty with a not saying they shot 150 rounds with no problems and no cleaning. The palm safety just needed replaced with an in spec piece and they refused to do that, even told me that all 1911's had palm safeties that were flush when out and recessed into the frame when depressed... I've owned a few and shot a few more, but they are the experts...

So back on topic. Unless you are a glutton for punishment just buy the pistol this one was cloned from. Or that glock you've been talking about :D it's hard to beat the pure value of a 17 or a 19 for a range pistol. Cheap magazines, easy maintenance, lots of parts, and possibly the most well covered pistol for open source trouble shooting if you do have a problem. Or better yet a Beretta 92 would seem to fit your style. Cheap and available magazines, lots of sources for trade in pistols (299 range). Nice used offerings floating around 400.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    had mine for 2 years very accurate and eats all ammo no issues

1. Very encouraging!

My experience with their customer support will keep me from ever owning another magnum research. Sent in a 1911 to have the palm safety refitted (was not to spec, it would push into the frame leaving you with a cut on your palm after a few magazines.) Explained in detail with pictures and got it back exactly how I sent it to them, only dirty with a not saying they shot 150 rounds with no problems and no cleaning. The palm safety just needed replaced with an in spec piece and they refused to do that, even told me that all 1911's had palm safeties that were flush when out and recessed into the frame when depressed... I've owned a few and shot a few more, but they are the experts...
    So back on topic. Unless you are a glutton for punishment just buy the pistol this one was cloned from. Or that glock you've been talking about :D it's hard to beat the pure value of a 17 or a 19 for a range pistol. Cheap magazines, easy maintenance, lots of parts, and possibly the most well covered pistol for open source trouble shooting if you do have a problem. Or better yet a Beretta 92 would seem to fit your style. Cheap and available magazines, lots of sources for trade in pistols (299 range). Nice used offerings floating around 400.

2. Your input does put a chill on $375 gun that is under discussion.
    3. He was interested in a trade and since I have less in my guns than most I do very well in trading, but before paying cash (if he would not come down to my $300+/- usual price range, and he indicated he was at the lowest price).
    4. It did have a stainless slide, and you know what a sucker I am for SS. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Magazine release location would be a killer for me. Maybe not an issue for a range gun, but would bug the heck out of me and mess up my muscle memory for sure.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've got a Magnum Research "Baby Eagle" in .40S&W
    I've been told it's a clone of the CZ75.
    All steel and completely reliable.
    Eats any and everything, and shoots to point of aim.

Also have a Desert Eagle in .44mag but that's a whole different gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. When I went to that site, the prices were $400+/- plus shipping and FFL fees (and taxes?), which would put this $375 gun with these accomodations to be not a great savings, but some if a person wanted the holster, sights and ammo (a given on ammo):

Mr9 Eagle 9mm
    2 15 Rdmags
    Factory case and accessories
    Blackhawk serpa holster
    Photoluminescent steel sights from Walther
    100 rds of remanufactured target ammo

Magazine release location would be a killer for me. Maybe not an issue for a range gun, but would bug the heck out of me and mess up my muscle memory for sure.

2. No issue for me. I do love the one on my Beretta Neos 22LR (right side, using right hand index finger in extended position).

I've got a Magnum Research "Baby Eagle" in .40S&W
    I've been told it's a clone of the CZ75.
    All steel and completely reliable.
    Eats any and everything, and shoots to point of aim.
    Also have a Desert Eagle in .44mag but that's a whole different gun.

3. Intriguing! :coffee:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    1. When I went to that site, the prices were $400+/- plus shipping and FFL fees (and taxes?), which would put this $375 gun with these accomodations to be not a great savings, but some if a person wanted the holster, sights and ammo (a given on ammo):

Tombstone has free shipping, no taxes paid on out of state purchase except what you claim every year....., and you can transfer for free with any in store purchase from Watson Chambers in Columbus. (think I saw that you're now a south sider not a bad drive and a nice gun shop to visit with range). That is 381 ish plus whatever you decide to buy if you transferred there. You can use this as a bargaining chip, I do. That holster is meh, remanned ammo is meh, and photoluminescent sights have to be charged up to glow. Not good if it lives in a bedside safe or under a shirt. No replacement for tritium if you are a nightsight person, but there is no replacement for light for target acquisition so I'm not really a nightsight guy. If it is dark enough that all I can see is the small tritium vial, I'm probably not pulling the trigger.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Nice. one of the Walther/clones with the AS trigger's on my list for interesting oddities. I'd suggest reading up on the AS trigger. It's kinda like a hammer-fired DA/SA but has a middle mode too. There are 3 trigger modes to be aware of:
    True DA: long heavy trigger cocks and releases. If you pull the trigger and get no bang, you can hit the primer again. you can also decock to here.
    Anti-stress: default mode after loading. long light travel from the DA location but the striker's already cocked.
    SA: After firing a shot, you'll have a short light trigger. Also, if you pull the trigger in AS but don't fire you can feel the catch and the trigger will go to SA position.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just went ahead and ordered a Beretta 92SF online for my larger range 9mm.
    I shot a dozen different large 9mms rented at the range yesterday and of all of them: Ruger, Sig Sauer, Walther, S/W, Kimber, and more, it was the big wide grip of the Beretta that called to me (all shot well).
    Plus, you can get them for $400+/- fairly regularly, and gmcttr put me onto a website where I could order a used one for $239+ (probably be $300+ after upgrades, shipping, taxes and FFL fees.
    Someday I'll find an INOX model and buy it and sell this one. :dunno:

Top Bottom