• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    Ok I have never held one of these sights or have seen one other than in a catalog or here on the web. I am planning a build and the upper has a railed gas block so my question is- is there any drawbacks to putting the front buis on the gas block? With heat or height? Thanks

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I had the same question and wanted to match the rear BUIS i bought. Dont even bother with them they SUCK. the rear sight is pretty useless when compared to a standard sight. I am going to pull mine off and go to a different rear sight that you can actually use.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    The sights work great for me but I have a Troy Alpha rail that is the same plane as my upper and just put it at the end of it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I have a few and like them, they are what they are. A backup to your main sighting system.
    They can also take abuse.....something that some of the more expensive "real steel" buis didn't handle very well.

lumpagus1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Ossian
    I'm a HUGE fan of magpul products but the one product I refuse to use is their BUIS. I'm ok with a few polymer pieces but I just don't like the look feel or function of their BUIS. There is nothing physically wrong with the function, it's just not my particular cup of tea. They are a good product for their price but I'd rather pay extra and get a good reputable BUIS that will both function, feel, and look the way I prefer. The only BUIS I've used and will probably ever use (outside of the BUIS on military rifles) are Troy Industries Folding Battle Sights. They are definitely pricy (no denying or hiding it) but they are worth every penny.

Last edited:

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    LOVE Magpull. HATE the thought of plastic sights on a battle rifle. And yes, the gas block will melt them, or at very least make them unreliable.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm satisfied with my Magpul BUIS's. 2 sets on Daniel Defense uppers w/ rails. One rear on a PSA with a front that is part of the gas block like the avg M4 stock sight. Can't afford that high dollar YHM stuff.

PSA is brand new, unfired in box, and about to go up for sale if anybody needs one.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I know I'm being pedantic, but they are called MBUS (Magpul back up sight) because they are plastic, where BUIS is back up Iron sight. Just to clear up terminology a little. :dunno:

Anyways lots of people swear by MBUS, but as stated they don't work on gas blocks. Additionally, a lot of railed gas blocks are slightly shorter than the receiver rail and the MBUS wouldn't work because of that as well.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i don't love my rear MBUS, i don't hate it. it serves its purpose. its been so long since i've actually shot with the sights themselves i don't remember how well it did. but like the others said, you can't put a front on a gas block.

jwatkins383

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    MD
    Mbius

They are great! Are not recommended to go right over a gas block....to all those that are skepticle of them read the Soldier Systems review....oh and id you don't like plastic then turn in glocks/M&P's/XD's...it is the year 2012 and its not just Tupaware and Solo cups...its now called pol-y-mer!

Ok I have never held one of these sights or have seen one other than in a catalog or here on the web. I am planning a build and the upper has a railed gas block so my question is- is there any drawbacks to putting the front buis on the gas block? With heat or height? Thanks

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    They are great! Are not recommended to go right over a gas block....to all those that are skepticle of them read the Soldier Systems review....oh and id you don't like plastic then turn in glocks/M&P's/XD's...it is the year 2012 and its not just Tupaware and Solo cups...its now called pol-y-mer!

I can't find that review. I was going to show it to a buddy this past summer, but I never did find it. You have the link?

FWIW, they're iron sights in my opinion. I've got plastic sights on some of my handguns, but I still call them iron sights. It's about their function/form more than what they're made out of IMO.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

I want to agree, but I have busted one on my old M&P15/22. Thankfully Magpul replaced it for free, but it left me with less faith in it.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    I just had my Magpul front MBUS break. I am now in the market to replace my sights with nonpol-y-mer ;) sights. I like Magpul stuff too. I have the MS3, their plate attachment and MOE+ grip, but I am now turned off to their sights.

Top Bottom