• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I've been wanting for awhile to fit my Rem 700 into something other than the factory synthetic stock. I was set on doing something with a Bell and Carlson or an HS precision, but then here comes this Magpul stock and with it a price tag at about half of what I was expecting to pay. So this shut down my plans, I've had good experience with Magpul products in the past but I was skeptical of a brand new product without any predecessors jumping into the market at a fraction of what the trusted brands were charging for an aluminum block stock + bottom metal and magazine. So I sat on my cash and waited to see what others thought of it. And now, a year later, I wanted to ask and see who had any experience with it. Does it hold a candle to what the big guys turn out, or does it need more refinement? (I don't trust most online reviews, it's hard to tell who the Magpul fanboys are)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got one but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I have used a pretty wide variety of stocks and I see no reason why the Hunter won't perform as well as any other with an aluminum bedding block. I'm looking forward to shooting the rifle in the next couple of weeks.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Mine is great. Everytime I shoot the thing I like it better. The accuracy from a 223 1/9 twist is unchanged from the McMillan it was in before. IMO they are very nice stocks. Throw in the price and they are just plain common semse to me.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have two Manners T2 Mini-Chassis, one McMillan A5, and have previously owned M40, A3 and A2 Medalists.

I also have a Magpul Hunter - need to break down and grab a box of 308 match ammo and go break the thing in.

I too have not yet shot my Hunter, but I do like it. The more time I am behind the rifle doing dry-fire practice, the more I appreciate the grip - its angle is more than the A3/M40 Medalist (which has the same grip angle) but less vertical than the T2 or A5. I do wish it had a little palm swell as it is more narrow than the Medalists and even moreso the A5 and T2, but it is comfortable. There are even "thumb indents", which show they were paying attention when they designed it.

The butt looks kinda goofy compared to other stocks, but the 'hook' is nicely sized, smaller than an A5 but still very usable a rear bag/squeeze sock as the T2.

The comb is higher than all of the aforementioned stocks, a very nice height IMO that works nicely with a 20MOA base and a 30mm optic in low rings.

I will say this - it doesn't really compare to the Manners, which look and feel more solid and robust. That said, for my uses, I could get three Magpul Hunters with mag kit and M-Lok bipod attachment for a single Manners with mini-chassis...and that is a very attractive value proposition.

Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow, Ok good to know. I didn't think they'd be liked nearly that much. Ok well then I think I know what my next present to myself will be. Thanks!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I had an opportunity this morning so I grabbed a box of 168gr Amax Match ammo and headed to the woods.

4C014EAB-6129-44F4-9611-DAEE08B2C427_zpswliulsuo.jpg

After putting 20 through it, there definitely is a learning curve ergonomically compared to my Manners and McMillan stocks. I miss the palm swell both of those stocks have, and while the grip angle is comfortable it took a little finagling to get a good, repeatable placement and pull. The stock handled recoil quite well, but it did take me a few rounds to really settle in behind it. Comb height is good, as mentioned. All in all, it was comfortable to use...just different than what I am used to.

I did notice a tiny bit of side-to-side flexing in the forearm when trying to lazily 'tweak' the bipod to level via a little force without loosening the pod-loc; did not cause any issues whatsoever but I have not seen similar on the B&C or upmarket stocks I have owned.

I will say this: I bought this stock explicitly to T&E and pulled the barreled action out of a T2 in order to do so. I *want* this stock to work because of the extremely high value that it offers the type of recreational shooting and hunting that I do. After using it briefly today, I'm happy with it but think I'm going to need to put more than 20 rounds downrange before I can really make a proper judgement on it.

I'll also say that if my only previous experience was factory SPS tupperware or a Hogue Overmold, I'd not have ANY of this neutral feedback.

I also need to replace the XMP trigger in this rifle for a Timney 510, man it sux compared to even an Savage Accutrigger...

Top Bottom