• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    I got my Magpul MIAD today. I ordered from an Amazon retailer and the item was new/fresh in box. All of the accessories and interchangable parts were there. I went with the MIAD for the handle inserts - I needed a place to hold my approved form 4 because this rifle is an NFA-regulated short barreled rifle. I had a few issues that I want to report and hopefully get some feedback on.

1. The backstrap that came on the core assembly will not come off. It's the non-bulged full thumb-tongue backstrap which I probably would prefer anyway, but I can't change it if I want. The roll pin is NOT inserted and I held the pinch tab open to no avail. The thing just would not slide off even with some "encouragement" against the workbench. Yes, I was pushing the right way. One side of the mating point is curved so it's obvious which way the backstrap SHOULD slide off.

2. When mating the grip to the gun, I found that the "mouth" of the grip, that sort of plastic triangle sandwich, did not provide a sufficient gap to accept the mounting tab on the rifle. The rifle in question is a Daniel Defense MK18. This rifle comes from the factory with a Magpul MOE (not MOE+) grip. I ended up forcing the grip onto the lower repeatedly which shaved plastic off of the MIAD little by little. Once I got the MIAD within 1/8" of clean-fit I put the bolt in and tightened it down. Very poor behavior.

So - has anyone else experienced this variance or had trouble in getting the MIAD grip to attach to your lower? Has anyone had issues getting the backstrap off the MIAD?

-Dobber

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So - has anyone else experienced this variance or had trouble in getting the MIAD grip to attach to your lower? Has anyone had issues getting the backstrap off the MIAD?

I've had to "custom fit" Magpul grips (both MIADs and MOEs) before; I always assumed the pistol grip mounting boss on the rifle was oversized, rather than the grip channel being undersized. I haven't had the issue on a DD rifle, but on a few less expensive brands (Olympic is the most common offender).

Never had an issue with the backstrap getting stuck; some have been pretty tight initially, but I've always managed to remove it.

I have had issues with the mounting nuts being stripped on RVGs and I once received a CTR stock with no locking bar :n00b: so Magpul's QC does slip on occasion.

Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    Thanks guys. I was just going to leave it but the more I think about it the more I'm annoyed. With so much money in a rifle I want things to fit properly. I'm not after perfection - this gun will see dirt, mud, and regular training exercises. I don't want to start off from a bad place, though. I think I'll call Magpul CS first and see if I can swap MIADs. Like I said the DD SBR came with an MOE grip. That grip looked unmolested so I can't think it's an inconsistency with quality control on my rifle. Who knows. I'm definitely not going to approach DD for a swap. I have no interest whatsoever in dealing with BATFE right now given the ridiculous wait times already in place.

-Dobber

Top Bottom