Magpul MS3, is this price too good to be true?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Looking on Amazon last night and I came across the Magpul MS3 sling for $32.99. I ordered one, and then decided to read the reviews (makes sense, right?). Most of the reviews are positive, but there are a couple claiming it is a knock off and does not meet what Magpul says will show it to be a genuine Magpul item. The most recent knock-off review was on April 30th. After reading these I decided to cancel my order and sent a message to the seller asking them to confirm whether they are genuine Magpul or not.

After looking through the item description on my laptop and not my phone, it seems to be listed as a legit, made in the USA sling. It also appears to be the only seemingly legit, non-QD MS3 listed on Amazon.

Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Magpul MS3 Sling, Black: Sports & Outdoors

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    If you're worried about the seller, buy from Amazon.com for $1 more. That's the listing I bought from in February.

I bought one in February as well, but when I click on it from my order history it takes me to the one linked above, even though the seller has a different name. Are you saying you bought one from the seller/listing I linked to? I don't see Amazon.com selling one for $1 more, can you link me to it?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I bought one in February as well, but when I click on it from my order history it takes me to the one linked above, even though the seller has a different name. Are you saying you bought one from the seller/listing I linked to? I don't see Amazon.com selling one for $1 more, can you link me to it?

Check out the additional buying options...

picture.php

album.php

h8S0wDTO3Q71gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Last edited:

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    There are two different types of accessories. Real tactical accessories, and the similar ones designed for 'training and Airsoft'. The training accessories, while labeled Magpul, are of lower quality, and the descriptions will say 'for training purposes only'. Sadly, there are a lot of sellers out there that won't let you know the products, such as BUIS and slings, are of that lower line. Buyer beware.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I was about to buy one from Ebay at a simliar "incredible deal" until I got wind of the knockoffs. To their credit it's very hard to tell a knock off from the real deal. If you don't want to absolutely know it's full quality, then buy the knockoff. If you want the real deal, don't try to save your $10 and just buy it from AGS armament or some other reputable shop.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Check out the additional buying options...

picture.php

h8S0wDTO3Q71gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
    Ah, I see. Only problem with that is it shows no description at all, so I could be buying the same, non-genuine item.

There are two different types of accessories. Real tactical accessories, and the similar ones designed for 'training and Airsoft'. The training accessories, while labeled Magpul, are of lower quality, and the descriptions will say 'for training purposes only'. Sadly, there are a lot of sellers out there that won't let you know the products, such as BUIS and slings, are of that lower line. Buyer beware.
    Correct, and I emailed the seller asking if it was genuine Magpul or Magpul PTS. The description for this item says nothing about PTS, training, and that it is made in the USA (most of the PTS stuff is not USA made).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Ah, I see. Only problem with that is it shows no description at all, so I could be buying the same, non-genuine item.

I would buy with confidence. Amazon is not going to sell you a non genuine item that differs from the one in the picture. They are as big as they are for good reason, they dont **** over their customers.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I would buy with confidence. Amazon is not going to sell you a non genuine item that differs from the one in the picture. They are as big as they are for good reason, they dont **** over their customers.
    I guess I phrased that wrong.

They don't say whether it is a Magpul or a Magpul PTS sling. Given the choice, I would rather have a combat sling and not a training sling.

But, I don't see on the Magpul PTS site where they offer a sling. So maybe it's just an overall knockoff?

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    My buddy just got what appears to be the same sling, and he paid about the same price. I don't know where he got his, but the quality seems to be genuine. Very nice sling for the money, weather it's genuine Magpul or not!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    >In Stock.
    >Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

When you see this, it's coming directly from Amazon. Also, you're fairly safe when you see "Sold by XYZ, Fulfilled by Amazon"

At the end of the day, if you get the wrong product - Amazon will make it right. It's easier to do if you order something fulfilled by Amazon directly.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    >In Stock.
    >Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

When you see this, it's coming directly from Amazon. Also, you're fairly safe when you see "Sold by XYZ, Fulfilled by Amazon"

At the end of the day, if you get the wrong product - Amazon will make it right. It's easier to do if you order something fulfilled by Amazon directly.
    That was my thinking as well. I would think it pretty difficult for a knock off company to have their **** products fulfilled by Amazon. Something like that would probably be drop shipped from China if it wasn't genuine.

I'm going to order one. Worst case I put it on a secondary rifle or return it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That was my thinking as well. I would think it pretty difficult for a knock off company to have their **** products fulfilled by Amazon. Something like that would probably be drop shipped from China if it wasn't genuine.
    It happens - for example if the Amazon representative isn't familiar enough with the product to recognize it's a knock-off, it can end up being fulfilled by Amazon. That said, they do not take that lightly and will resolve the issue for you quickly by either refunding you or sending the right product.

I've only had it happen once, and Amazon sent me the *right* item immediately and disabled the seller immediately as well.

I'm going to order one. Worst case I put it on a secondary rifle or return it.
    I ordered one just now from Amazon, be here Tuesday.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I just ordered it, and the one I posted originally is no longer there. The link took me to the Amazon listing for $33.99. It's sold by Amazon, so I should be good to go, I hope.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Prime is nice, isn't it?
    Yes... We order so much stuff through Amazon that we've saved a TON on shipping. If we don't need it 'today' and it's available on Amazon chances are it'll save us a few dollars.

That said, local-delivery same-day for $3.99 can't be beat imho. I would spend near that much in gas just running to the store to buy it myself + my time spent going to get it.

Black Cloud

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Don't get me wrong, the Training/Airsoft gear is still made by MagPul. It's just not the same gear as their tactical line. But, one of my shooting buddies bought the lower-cost Airsoft line MagPul BUIS sights, and they work just fine.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Havent seen a PTS sling before. According to Magpul when I spoke to them, they only make one MS3 sling.

The reason I spoke to them was because the sling I ordered, advertised as genuine Magpul, and confirmed by email that it was genuine, was not genuine. Although it was probably as close as one could get.
    Had the correct packaging, etc. Sling was correct width, size etc, but the safety latches didnt keep the claws locked closed, so I emailed Magpul.
    Turns out there was more wrong than I knew. While the claws were metal they were not what the tech on the phone described. Magpuls clips are all steel. These werent. The thumb actuated part was metal on the fake, probably aluminum or pot metal, and it was painted, which Magpul doesnt do.

I did get all my money back for it once I informed the seller, but its best to buy from someone you KNOW is selling genuine Magpul stuff.
    I actually got the new genuine one before I sent the fake back, and to lay them on a table, they were identical. Function however, was a different story.

Then again, as with lots of stuff, it might work just fine the way it was for some people....but I like to get what Im told Im getting.
    If you are just in it for the look, get whatever is cheapest. If you want it to work like its supposed to, get it from a reputable source.

Last edited:

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I have 2 of these

Over the last couple of years I have had the opportunity to purchase two of these. I have one for my personal AR and the other is for my issue rifle. I do have the rail sling attachment, but I only have one of those, which I use on the issue rifle. I will be purchasing a rail sling attachement for my personal AR when I return from deployment.

Top Bottom