• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Don't forget that magazines are expendable items that will wear over time (if you use them). When you inspect your magazines and find one damaged (e.g. cracked or spread feed lips, etc.), throw it away and get a new one.

This is hard to embrace for some of us who lived through the magazine restricions imposed by the Omnibus Crime Act of 1994 (aka the assault weapons ban). In some cases, we believed that our magazines could not be replaced, so we had to nurse them along indefinitely. I believe that almost all of the AR mags I acquired up to 2004 were used when I got them, and some because garbage during use over that time.

Naturally we may face similar or worse laws in the future, but that's why you should plan now. If you use your magazines, you will wear some of them out. Prepare now for that eventuality.

Oh, and more is always better than less. Unless you're trying to swim.

This is a good point. If the status quo remained the same, I wouldn't see a need for a whole bunch of magazines; when one dies, get a new one. But it isn't a completely ridiculous thought that magazines of > X capacity would get banned again and then I'd be SOL when they wear out. I'll keep this in mind if I ever see any great deals.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    I like to have a minimum of 10 per gun. I'll buy mags when I see them for a good price. I remember buying all of my Glock 21 mags for $8-10 each, now under $20 is a deal.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    My RIA 1911: I have 4 Chip Mags and the 1 Factory, My Ruger P97: 2 factory, Walther PK380: 3 Mags, and the Helwan: 3 Mags

Clearly......I need more mags

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    When I carry, I usually run 5 mags. One in the gun on the right hip and four in mag holders on the left hip. It would be nice to have one more for range work so I don't have to unload personal protection rounds out of the mag in the gun when switching to ball. I would think six per would take you all the way.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Handguns:
    Glock 19 - 7 15 round mags (5 of which I bought during the ban. Ouch!!)
    Glock 26 - 2 12 round mags (but the Glock 19 mags will work in a pinch)
    HK USP - 3 13 round mags and 1 10 rounder (I need more)

Rifle:
    AR-15 - 40 30 round Pmags (what can I say DSG Arms had them on sale and I couldn't stop myself. :dunno:)

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have a minimum of 6 for each gun. I don't have a shortage any way you look at it.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    After reading all these and seeing how many mags others have, I'm almost ashamed to post my answers. My theory is you don't need that many mags if you hit what your shooting at the first time.

Glock 22: 1 15rnd mag, and 3 10rnd mags.
    Walther P22: 2 original 10 rnd mags.
    AR 15: 2 30rnd mags (but just getting started)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If it's a common model gun and the mag price is decent, I don't think there is such thing as too many mags. If its common, you could always get rid of them ! Seems like everytime I go to a gun show, I always come home with a couple more mags for my G22's and 35, and my XD-45's.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Three or four. I'm not obsessed with the need for mags.

If one breaks, I'll replace it.

If they are "banned"............ Well, we are in trouble anyway. Guess then I'll make do with 10 rounders, although everyone should realize they can be banned as well.

SHTF? If things get really, really bad, you are not gonna shoot your way out of it, no matter what you daydream about. No food, no medicine............ No magazines are going to replace those. And the "bad guys" are probably going to be just as heavily armed as you are.

Just my opinion.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If they are "banned"............ Well, we are in trouble anyway. Guess then I'll make do with 10 rounders, although everyone should realize they can be banned as well.

SHTF? If things get really, really bad, you are not gonna shoot your way out of it, no matter what you daydream about. No food, no medicine............ No magazines are going to replace those. And the "bad guys" are probably going to be just as heavily armed as you are.

Just my opinion.

I'm not buying extras for a SHTF scenerio. Actually, I only have my range and carry mags even opened. I buy extras more because I can at at decent price. We have already went thru one ban. What makes anyone one think the next will have a 10 year expiration again ? It was a nice luxury during the first ban that I had many extra Beretta 92 mags. The ban didn't keep me from buying my first Glock. I was able to buy the Glock with 10 round mags and had several guys willing to trade me 15 rd Glock mags for the Beretta. Actually, I aquired quite a few Glock mag during the ban by trading mags that I had $15.00 in. Nothing like 2 fellow gun owners helping each other out during rough times. Key is buying something that will be commonly wanted at the right price.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I have 10 mags for the M&P. It is not for SHTF necessarily, but gives me some room for rotation of carry and range mags.

Top Bottom