Mailing pistol back to manufacturer OK or no way?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Follow up on my earlier post. I received my handgun today via USPS. I did contact the guy who shipped it to me. He said that as a FFL holder, he can ship them USPS. He has to fill out a form indicating that it is a firearm. He does this all the time and doesn't have any issues. The post office knows exactly what he is shipping.

I had read that you can do this, but it seemed to contradict the quoted text that bbi and hough referred to. I'm glad I have shipped and/or received firearms via some shipping method exactly 3 times in my life.:) Seems like there is plenty of confusion and contradicting information plenty out there.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Follow up on my earlier post. I received my handgun today via USPS. I did contact the guy who shipped it to me. He said that as a FFL holder, he can ship them USPS. He has to fill out a form indicating that it is a firearm. He does this all the time and doesn't have any issues. The post office knows exactly what he is shipping.

I had read that you can do this, but it seemed to contradict the quoted text that bbi and hough referred to. I'm glad I have shipped and/or received firearms via some shipping method exactly 3 times in my life.:) Seems like there is plenty of confusion and contradicting information plenty out there.

An FFL holder can mail a handgun.

Unlicensed people cannot.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

My DCM Garand came to me via USPS.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

For context, do you hold an FFL?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Doesn't contradict in the slightest. FFL holders have different rules. You or I can transfer a handgun with no paperwork. They can't. We can't ship by USPS. They can.

[h=5]432.21 Authorized Persons[/h]Subject to 432.22, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, a licensed importer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties, and upon filing the required affidavit or certificate:

1. [*=left]Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
      [*=left]Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
      [*=left]Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
      [*=left]USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
      [*=left]Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
      [*=left]Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
      [*=left]Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 432.21c through e.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What water what bridge?:rolleyes:
    I'm the person that shipped the gun to him.
    Gun was given to me by him for repair I have FFL and can send the gun back to him directly per the law.

Truth.

A manufacturer / 'smith can ship the gun directly back to the owner. It does not HAVE to go to an FFL. And if it DOES go to an FFL, I'm honestly not sure that it needs received into the bound book because no real need for a transfer to take place. They're essentially just the holder of the unopened box. That's akin to shipping your own guns to yourself.

Now - I'm sure that certain FFL-holders will have their own rules/stipulations that are above and beyond what the law requires. I suspect that most of those rules and stipulations are out of ignorance vs. malice.

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I sent a pistol back to Smith Wesson a couple of years ago. They sent me a shipping label thru FedEx.The return was with FedEx to my front door.I did have to sign for it on the return.Everthing went smooth with no problems.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What water what bridge?:rolleyes:
    I'm the person that shipped the gun to him.
    Gun was given to me by him for repair I have FFL and can send the gun back to him directly per the law.

OK, OK, that's the ATF rules, yes, it's perfectly legal.

The USPS has their own rules.
    https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

According to that, if it's a handgun, both parties must hold an FFL, or the receiver is a some form of LEO or military officer.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why does it matter which company you ship it back to the manufacturer and them back to you? Be it USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Who was the person that thought this actually matters? Another unnecessary law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why does it matter which company you ship it back to the manufacturer and them back to you? Be it USPS, UPS, or FedEx. Who was the person that thought this actually matters? Another unnecessary law.

I dunno, who sets the rules at the Postal Service?

FedEx and UPS demand overnight, most likely because they want it in their hands, and a theft risk, for as little times as possible. Since they're both private companies, they can make their own rules.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

Many of our criminal laws are "unnecessary." This is what happens when enough (or enough people who are loud enough) demand that we "do something!" Seems to me like laws to prevent bad people from using shippers to engage in the illegal movement of arms.

Is it really effective? Who knows. But, it is the law.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I dunno, who sets the rules at the Postal Service?

FedEx and UPS demand overnight, most likely because they want it in their hands, and a theft risk, for as little times as possible. Since they're both private companies, they can make their own rules.

I would guess it also has to do with who has access to it while it is in their hands. FedEx is several separate companies running under one unified brand, but the driver of a FedEx Express truck works for a different company than the driver of a FedEx Ground truck (who is likely a contract employee of another company).

It's confusing, but to keep from having a gun transported by someone who shouldn't have access, they just make the customers pay for the expensive service.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would guess it also has to do with who has access to it while it is in their hands. FedEx is several separate companies running under one unified brand, but the driver of a FedEx Express truck works for a different company than the driver of a FedEx Ground truck (who is likely a contract employee of another company).

It's confusing, but to keep from having a gun transported by someone who shouldn't have access, they just make the customers pay for the expensive service.

I wouldn't even trust FedEx Ground to ship a pillow.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I wouldn't even trust FedEx Ground to ship a pillow.

I have to agree; I NEVER use FedEx unless I have to, such as when the recipient provides a prepaid return label.

The FedEx shipments we receive are inconsistently delivered and larger items frequently suffer damaged packaging. Unfortunately, some shippers use FedEx exclusively, such as chewy.com, and we have no choice.

UPS, with their more integrated model of using employees and company-owned vehicles, is much more reliable and consistent.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have to agree; I NEVER use FedEx unless I have to, such as when the recipient provides a prepaid return label.

The FedEx shipments we receive are inconsistently delivered and larger items frequently suffer damaged packaging. Unfortunately, some shippers use FedEx exclusively, such as chewy.com, and we have no choice.

UPS, with their more integrated model of using employees and company-owned vehicles, is much more reliable and consistent.

This is an interesting statement. When I was in the cabinet industry we loathed sending cabinets via UPS and as a policy didn't. Our quote was; "we ship a cabinet, the customer received toothpicks."

UPS, at least in the past was notorious for being rough on packaging. Things must have changed.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    This is an interesting statement. When I was in the cabinet industry we loathed sending cabinets via UPS and as a policy didn't. Our quote was; "we ship a cabinet, the customer received toothpicks."

UPS, at least in the past was notorious for being rough on packaging. Things must have changed.

Maybe, like with so many things, the truth lies somewhere in between. Maybe it depends on what one is shipping. Except for the Chewy, almost everything we get is relatively small. Chewy.com likes to pack as much as they can into fewer boxes, so they are heavy, and probably any shipper would have some difficulty delivering them intact.

I shouldn't have engaged in generalizations.... :):

Top Bottom