Maine nurse won't observe Ebola quarantine - your take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'll play.
    The Right would like you to vote Republican (this week) because Obama has left us vulnerable to ISIS and Ebola. The left wants to hide the fact that Obama has sold us out to aliens from Tralfamadore. When Ebola corpses reanimate we will know the truth. Libertarians are not involved. If they are, it is only unintentionally. JG, am I close?
    Keep looking...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    So, I may have missed it but other than SAYING she is not following a quarantine and riding her bike, what else has she been doing cause this panic?

I don't know if anyone is "panicking". The media is chasing her, but they've chased people with less meaningful issues. Here, I think we are trying to have a debate about the issue of quarantining someone exposed to Ebola.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Well, I'd probably play with her bodily fluids if I wasn't all married and stuff (got plenty of bodily fluids to play with :) ), but only after I was sure she wasn't infectious, which involves a 21, 24, or maybe 42 day quarantine. She's not as hot as that nurse in TX, but she's not too bad to be picky. I do have little confidence in a judge to determine that a quarantine is not necessary. JD and MD both take some intellect, but they're not the same skill set.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    There is so much I could say here, but I'm working on that self filter. Not because my thoughts are negative, abusive, or wrong, but they are confrontational and would tend to disturb my Wa and yours to no purpose. Wa?*
    So let me just remove this altogether.......self conscoiusness vs self awareness vs ego. Go Denver!

* Japanese

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Interesting that it is reported that the nurse's roommate in Africa came down with Ebola by unknown method of transmission.

Draco

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    You’ll have to excuse my bewilderment with each iteration of the selfish and stupid argument; I mean, we’re talking about a medical professional, which should at least put a dent in the stupid argument; and she volunteered to save the lives of strangers. Not neighbors, not Americans, but folks on the far side of the world afflicted with a disease that has long been on my Top 10 list ways to not die. To stupid, I beg to differ; to say selfish, though, that is just bizarre. All the more coming from people who so often proclaim the righteousness of freedom and the virtue of due process; who preach to me that one ought care for their fellow citizens of Earth; and so much from a group that a significant portion of which has probably no knowledge of Ebola predating this outbreak.

So, let us yield to those more knowledgeable than us; let us not give into fear and over react, and let no politician twist this into some demented fervor. Let us rely on science, the same you would if you found yourself needing to go under a scalpel.

With that, let me lay out how I understand things to be:
    Yes, caretakers have been infected. However, Ebola is rather hard to catch, relatively speaking. Why this problem? By my understanding, it comes down like this:

1) Lack of supplies. When you are relying on the sun to disinfect gear that is generally used as disposable, you are going to have failures in safety protocol.

2) Lack of training. Look, we don’t deal with infectious diseases in the United States anymore. The field has dwindled with the eradication of polio and the banishment of measles and its ilk. (Yes, they’re coming back; but medicine is about economics, and more money is to be made dealing with plastic surgery than infectious disease, geriatrics, or even general practitioners.)

3) Patients with Ebola are only particularly contagious at the end stage. The amount of the virus in the blood goes up greatly, and the amount of bodily fluids leaving the body similarly increase. Said simply, in the last day(s) of a patient, it is very easy for a tiny speckle of blood to carry a significant amount of contagion. This, it should be stressed, is when doctors are likely to be exposed. Citizens, on the other hand, also run the risk of infection be kissing the corpse of a loved one before the body is taken away, buried, or burned.

Now then, those are the vectors. Why do I think this nurse shouldn’t be quarantined just for giggles and safety?

Because those who have been infected with Ebola are not contagious until symptoms appear. The viral load in the blood is too low to pose a likely risk; and the amount of bodily fluid leakage is approximately the same as a healthy person. Only when symptoms present themselves is there a likelihood of transmission with contact of the patient’s bodily fluids, and for the first stretch of the symptomatic stage there remains little additional bodily fluid transmission.

Trust me, this nurse is going to be eyeing her temperature; within an hour of it spiking, I expect her to report it. However, at this time, there are no symptoms and multiple blood tests have come up as negative. With a modicum of risk of transmission if she does have Ebola in its incubation period, along with repeated negative blood tests, the right of the government to lock up this humanitarian should not exist. Low risk if the tests are wrong, repeated safe blood draws, and self-monitoring will be sufficient.

Given the way it is being handled thus far, particularly in the New Jersey fashion, the quarantine has seemed nothing but political grandstanding. And that, that above all, I will not have.

So look, if I’m wrong, correct me. However, I think science backs my understanding – and I certainly expect the nurse to be quite aware of her state of being, seeing as getting medical attention is rather vital to maximizing the chances of survival. As for quarantine and her right to be free, I’m for a due process approach. I do not necessarily have great faith in due process reaching the correct conclusion, but extrajudicial de facto incarceration is wrong.

Finally, remember that whole “We’ll fight the terrorists over there so we won’t have to fight them at home,” claim? Well, this is one of those times this is true. If you want to protect yourself, your best bet is to get more people to manage the outbreak; and you won’t have that if you turn each returning volunteer as an untouchable criminal to be locked outside of hospitals in unheated tents for indefinite amounts of time. Proactive trumps reactive here, and yet almost all I see are kneejerk reactions; it’s a real shame.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    When the mortality rate for the flu is upwards of 50-60%, maybe. But its not. Apples and oranges. Nice strawman BTW...

It was an honest question. This whole discussion seems to be built on arbitrary statistics and slippery slopes. Its not a strawman to ask how far people are willing to take this disease hysteria.

So why 50-60% mortality? Why not diseases with 20, 30, or 40% mortality? Does Barack Obama get to decide this? Are the specific diseases spelled out in a law somewhere?

I really dislike vagueness in government policy, so naturally I like to hammer out every possible detail and scenario. I think its awful to have our civil rights hinged on statistics.

Um, yeah, if we have a walking sepsis that refuses to keep him/herself away from me, therefore exposing me to a virus unnecessarily. Someone totally unaware, I can't so much object to, but if you have a good chance of having been exposed, then [bad word] you. That's not just for ebola, but flu, HIV, what the [bad word] ever. If you're coming at me with a firearm aimed at me with your finger on the trigger, you get two to the heart and one to the mind. How in hell am I supposed to know if you are coming at me with a virus that would be equally lethal (and a lot more miserable)? Your freedom to shed virii ends at my nose. How is that so damned hard for you to understand?

If you are prepared to shoot a (suspected) sick person, perhaps you should put down the gun and invest in a plastic bubble. Good grief.

I am perfectly willing to quarantine myself on the merest suspicion of infection with anything deadly, because I'm not willing to be the agent of death to someone who doesn't deserve it. Why isn't she?

This is a bit like saying, "I am perfectly willing to give up my guns to boost public safety. Why isn't she?"

Yankee Ginger Nurse reminds me of a spoiled 10 year old looking out the window at threatening skies and screaming, "BUT I WANNA RIDE MY BIKE!!!!" and her parents saying "But honey it's dangerous outside as there is a CHANCE for a tornado and if something happens us (and others) may have to try to find you during the storm it could put lives at risk.."...."WHATEVER...I DO WHAT I WANT AND I WANNA RIDE MY BIKE!!!!!!!"

Unless one believes the government should fill a parental role for Americans, the analogy is a little tough to swallow.

"But mom, I want an AR15..."

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Snoop Dog...He wrote a song about it...I think it's called "Gin(ger) and Juice".....

[video=youtube;_r-M9gipm9s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-M9gipm9s[/video]

Hank Williams would so proud of III.:laugh:

Every time that song pops up on my iTunes shuffle, it makes me smile.:D

Top Bottom