Majority Of Americans Say College Not Worth Cost…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    There are a surprising number of Rose grads on INGO!
    ME, Rose 1989...pleased to meet ya.
    I was there in 85 and 86, then Vincennes Univ junior college and finished at Purdue.

As a response to many other posts concerning technical trades and cost of education, my time at Rose influenced me. As a result I sponsor a couple scholarships at my high school for VU Engineering and Agriculture/Technical trades. Having a junior college curriculum transfer directly into a four year school was important, along with technical trades that are now in short supply.

The mandates will also influence student choices for college. Could turn out to be a big factor if they don't end. Click on Which Colleges Mandate and lists have to be downloaded. Seems tricky using a tablet.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I was there in 85 and 86, then Vincennes Univ junior college and finished at Purdue.

As a response to many other posts concerning technical trades and cost of education, my time at Rose influenced me. As a result I sponsor a couple scholarships at my high school for VU Engineering and Agriculture/Technical trades. Having a junior college curriculum transfer directly into a four year school was important, along with technical trades that are now in short supply.

The mandates will also influence student choices for college. Could turn out to be a big factor if they don't end. Click on Which Colleges Mandate and lists have to be downloaded. Seems tricky using a tablet.
    Have two kids that did two year degrees at IVY Tech and then went on to get bachelors' at IUPUI and Univ of Indy (both computer stuff). Have two that haven't done college at all and work at regular jobs for now (have to see what happens later) and one that went straight through to a BS Nursing/RN that now also works in IT like her brothers. I truly don't think college is for everyone, and if I had it to do over again I can't say I'd do it in that I've grown not to particularly like engineering after doing it for the majority of 34 years.

I'll have to look in my yearbooks and see who was there my freshman and sophomore years and disappeared...

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I joined the military at 17 and graduated mid-term from HS. I was in boot camp when the rest of my class graduated from HS. I wasted 2 years of my life in college (before quitting) using the GI Bill, so no debt there. I have made a good living as a A&P helicopter mechanic for over 30 years and no college degree.
    My son went to Vocational School for Diesel mechanics and was recruited right out of high school @ $23/hr with full benefits and is already in his chosen career @ 20 years old.
    My daughter is 22, has an Associates in elementary education, and is going to IU SE this fall for 2 years or so for her Bachelors. She is planning to go to South Korea and teach English. Right now she works at a daycare barely making enough to pay her bills.
    For me and my son, college is money wasted. For my wife and daughter, it was a necessity, unfortunately.
    My brother works the family business and has degrees in finance & business management and I make $20 or so more than him per hour.

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Really? I kinda get it with my degree, it was mostly nonsense, but I would expect a CS degree to actually teach you some tangible skill that normies can't get from just googling the problem.
    Guess I should have spelled it out a bit more. If you want to go work on the bleeding edge, sure. A computer science degree might help you learn concepts and the like. But I'm not even sure of that anymore. Learn some coding standards, read the documentation, try and build a simple project, Google what you don't get, rinse, repeat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The traditional college model is broken. I like the idea of certification rather than degrees. So you’d get your education from whatever sources you can, you pay some fee for the take certificate exams, and if you pass, it’s the same as having the degree.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Guess I should have spelled it out a bit more. If you want to go work on the bleeding edge, sure. A computer science degree might help you learn concepts and the like. But I'm not even sure of that anymore. Learn some coding standards, read the documentation, try and build a simple project, Google what you don't get, rinse, repeat.
    Landing that job might be a problem. If you don’t have the degree you better have equivalent experience. But, you could start out doing something entry level and incrementally work your way into more technical positions.

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Landing that job might be a problem. If you don’t have the degree you better have equivalent experience. But, you could start out doing something entry level and incrementally work your way into more technical positions.
    That's another thing. College can get you networking that lands the job. I know that nothing I do at my current position (enterprise application developer) needs that degree, but I landed the job due to college networking. But you can totally network outside of college. For my field, write how-to's, make YouTube videos, work on open source projects, etc. The degree was a requirement, but it was just a lazy way to weed out people that might not try. Replace the current path with more of an apprenticeship and I think that would work miles better

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    The traditional college model is broken. I like the idea of certification rather than degrees. So you’d get your education from whatever sources you can, you pay some fee for the take certificate exams, and if you pass, it’s the same as having the degree.
    My son is going to WGU online for a second bachelors in computer stuff. Each course he completes has a certification test as the final. So, when he gets his next degree, he’ll have I think 14 certifications in his field. Not a bad deal, if you’re in that field.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That's another thing. College can get you networking that lands the job. I know that nothing I do at my current position (enterprise application developer) needs that degree, but I landed the job due to college networking. But you can totally network outside of college. For my field, write how-to's, make YouTube videos, work on open source projects, etc. The degree was a requirement, but it was just a lazy way to weed out people that might not try. Replace the current path with more of an apprenticeship and I think that would work miles better
    Why not certifications? You get your knowledge however you want. Then pay a fee for your certs. College isn’t necessary. I think I mentioned elsewhere, MIT has their whole CS program on YouTube.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Did a quick and dirty calculation for an IN state school in 1967 vs today -- Cost for a semester (no books, no room & board) divided by minimum wage.
    1967 140x ................... 2023 1500x

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    Why not certifications? You get your knowledge however you want. Then pay a fee for your certs. College isn’t necessary. I think I mentioned elsewhere, MIT has their whole CS program on YouTube.
    Certs work too. In my mind they are both ways that say "here is something that says I know something".

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Certs work too. In my mind they are both ways that say "here is something that says I know something".

Certs are good and at this point more valuable than the paper from most colleges. The only downside is that they are the gospel according to the certification body. So a Microsoft certification is the truth according to Microsoft, not necessarily the truth of how something is in real life. Same with Cisco certs. I've seen cert questions from both where the answer doesn't reflect actual reality. So if you keep that in mind they are somewhat valuable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Certs are good and at this point more valuable than the paper from most colleges. The only downside is that they are the gospel according to the certification body. So a Microsoft certification is the truth according to Microsoft, not necessarily the truth of how something is in real life. Same with Cisco certs. I've seen cert questions from both where the answer doesn't reflect actual reality. So if you keep that in mind they are somewhat valuable.
    Just like with degrees, the org that puts its name on it stakes its reputation. If you hire a bunch of engineers with certain certifications and they just can’t perform as expected then the reputation will form.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just like with degrees, the org that puts its name on it stakes its reputation. If you hire a bunch of engineers with certain certifications and they just can’t perform as expected then the reputation will form.

It's all good with someone blending certs and experience. Younger people with no experience have a harder time, but hiring managers normally understand this.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Chrysler adopted Degree'd only hiring for management. I was hired to work on an extremely automated machining installation that performed 240 machining processes, including air gauge quality inspection at three places in the process. The installation only required 3 production workers. In the old days it would have needed 240 operators and a dozen material handlers.

My direct supervisor was an 8th grade history teacher. Nice guy, but no technical skills, factory experience or management experience. The next department over was a woman that started college to be a grade school teacher but ended up with a communication degree. Nothing personal against her, but clueless about making gears and shafts. That was repeated dozens of times in dozens of departments.

The workers that really knew how each department made parts were the 20 plus year guys that started as helpers, and eventually worked their way up to run every process in the department. They became job setters who knew how to set up every machine on the line, making sure every operator could make good parts. To retain that knowledge base, Chrysler used to promote those guys to supervisor. With the mandate for degrees for all management, those top notch men had to go out the door for their promotion. Many positions got filled incompetence, but were showing a degree on the books. Somehow that was considered a good plan.

Sometimes a degree is not the answer.

Top Bottom