Mak 90 work needed in NWI - where to go?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Looking for any advice on where to send my Mak 90 for a barrel replacement? I'm in NWI and just got it back in a box of pieces from D&D Weaponworks in DeMotte. The guy had it for 2.5 years, giving me excuse after excuse and promises after promises on when it would get done. I don't know why it took me 2.5 years to figure out this guy was a fraud but anyway....

So who can I send this to in order to get quality work done?

Thanks for your input.

PS> BEWARE OF ANY DEALINGS WITH D&D WEAPONWORKS !!!!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Your biggest problem will be finding a barrel to use for replacement. The chinese AKs use a smaller 19mm trunnion end on the barrel which is different than all the other countries out there. This combined with the fact chinese parts/rifles have been illegal for import since 1994 could make it a bit more difficult.

that said, why does the barrel need replaced?

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Your biggest problem will be finding a barrel to use for replacement. The chinese AKs use a smaller 19mm trunnion end on the barrel which is different than all the other countries out there. This combined with the fact chinese parts/rifles have been illegal for import since 1994 could make it a bit more difficult.

that said, why does the barrel need replaced?

Thanks for the info. Why replace the barrel you ask? I got the bright idea to put a threaded barrel on it so I could use a flash hider:dunno:
    So much for my bright ideas. I'm kinda stuck now cuz the guy I originally took it to said it would be easy and cut my original barrel and left me with a box of parts :xmad:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Thanks for the info. Why replace the barrel you ask? I got the bright idea to put a threaded barrel on it so I could use a flash hider:dunno:
    So much for my bright ideas. I'm kinda stuck now cuz the guy I originally took it to said it would be easy and cut my original barrel and left me with a box of parts :xmad:

your best option probably was, and might still be if you have the original barrel, to thread it 1/2"x28.

The first rifle I ever bought as a MAK90 with the threads turned off, but there was enough of the threads left to still get a brake on the end.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    your best option probably was, and might still be if you have the original barrel, to thread it 1/2"x28.

The first rifle I ever bought as a MAK90 with the threads turned off, but there was enough of the threads left to still get a brake on the end.

The original barrel was trashed by D&D Weaponworks :noway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There's also a gunsmith in Griffith. Name starts with a G. Guthridge, or something like that.
    South of Blythes (griffith) near the RR tracks.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I had a gunsmith at Indiana Defensive Firearms do some muzzle work on my AK and it turned out really nice. Very fair price as well. I'm told he has a full machine shop. It's near Lincolnway and Ironwood in Mishawaka, IN. I can get more info if you need it. It's a newish small shop. The gunsmith's name is Darrin.

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    there are a couple of barrels on gun broker but they are very expensive. you probably could turn down the barrel you have for sale to fit your trunion but that would be expensive also. if you decide your done messing with the box of parts i would be happy to buy them from you at a very fair price.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Barrels I knew I had seen one somewhere! I dont know if this will fit the bill, but its one of the cheaper ones i've seen. It says "milled" I'm not sure of the barrel dimensions off hand on mak90's but it may work! Good luck!

Top Bottom