• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Anyone have any advice on my mak90? its in pretty much mint shape, but only cycles reliably using 10rd chinese mags. I dont know how much you can tell from pics, but maybe someone will have some tips.. I havent shot it in forever so that isnt helping the troubleshooting either! just throwing some pics up to see if anything looks like it could be misaligned and cause poor reliability. if for no other reason its just fun posting pics up of guns.....
    maknoserial2.jpg

maknoserial3.jpg

mak90andother010.jpg

mak90andother011.jpg

mak90andother012.jpg

mak90andother013.jpg

mak90andother014.jpg

maknoserial1.jpg

Kind of a long shot, but maybe worth a look. I'll bring it to the range next trip!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The MAK90 is a excellent made AK...I have a chinese 30 rd.mag an it performs perfect...you probably need better mags...I have a 75 rd. drum, but haven't been able to try it out yet...

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    When I take it out I hope to have a crap-load of mags with me. I just don't like that my other aks use all my mags, and debatably my nicest, is being picky. I was just hoping I was missing something obvious...

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    A nice looking gun. It's a little gritty and gummy. Have you ever completely field stripped it, bolt and all, and given it a very thorough cleaning? A little leftover cosmoline can really slow things down at times.
    A mag catch problem is a possibility too but I absolutely would not dink with that unless you have ruled out every other possibilty. Never seen a mak90 with a bad mag catch but I surely haven't seen near all of them either.

Edit : is this pretty much a new gun, low round count? Mine were all a bit stubborn at first until they got thru an initial break-in period. Also none of mine will reliably feed soft point or hollow point ammo.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I am ashamed of the dirt in this rifle, didn't think it was that dirty! :) I haven't stripped the bolt on this rifle, but it has a very low round count at least since I've owned it. I bought this from a guy that said he didn't shoot it much, but who knows. When I first got the rifle I only had ten round mags so I didn't think anything was wrong. Mags fit great in the rifle as far as mag catch, even my drum, so I don't think it's that. I may get on GB and get some Chinese 30rd mags just to see if those are fine.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Magazines are such an annoying topic.

The gun is most likely fine, you'll just have to find a brand/type of magazine it likes. Some information on exactly what's going wrong would be helpful.

I've spent weeks working on some PSL magazines tuning them to my rifle, so I know how annoying it can be.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I would still field strip it and get all the cosmoline out of it!

Dude no kidding! That cosmo is what is jamming up the gun. Holy cow.. if that were any kind of autoloading rifle other than an AK you'd probably have way more trouble. Clean it! You barely need any lubrication, actually you don't NEED any at all. I like to use a little in certain areas, but what you have is in there is beyond excessive.

Option 2: Sell it to me at a super discount because it doesn't work :)

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    haha, i honestly had no idea it had that much crap all over it! I dont mind looking dumb if it were to fix my problem though! If weather allows this weekend i'll try and blast some various proven mags through it again and see what happens. I kinda started this thread a bit ill prepared...

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    for some reason mags can be hit or miss, I've got some that will work in all my ak, maddi,mak, russian, and a few if I keep them i'll have to mark for specific ak's, but then again the more mags the better, sometimes the lip have been bent (I have fixed a couple) just take a needle nose pliers and ajust them might help might not

Top Bottom