Make the Toothpick on your Swiss Army Knife Useful - Replace it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I just got back from a week in Alaska where my buddy tried to use his Swiss army knife fero rod. And it broke. No spark. No fire. Its simply too small and fragile.

In fairness to the firefly ferro rods. Yes, this was me and my ferro rod. It was the same one I had tested in the backyard and worked then. This time while in Alaska I didn't support it as well and it definitely broke in half. Not making excuses for it, because when I went to make a fire with it, it broke. Even after it broke, I got sparks from it.

Here's the thing with something like this. It's never going to work as well as a 1/2" x 6" or the bigger 1" magnum ferro rods. That's just never going to be the case, but it does add a fire option to a pocket knife. It's not great or the one I'd want to have in a worst case scenario. I think it's more geared towards being away from the better gear in your pack and where the lighter in your pocket is wet or damaged. Never a first choice, but I've already swapped out a new one and it's in my pocket now.

These firefly ferro rods are not better than anything other than a "better than nothing" option. For me though, my same swiss army knife has been with me on several adventures and the question becomes, would I rather have a toothpick or a crumby ferro rod.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom