• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I am thinking about making my own custom grips for my single action revolver. What are practical things I need to know? For example, does the wood need to be hard or are softer woods OK? Do you just fit the frame or build to fit fingers? Can you combine woods or is there a reason to keep with one type of wood. I have some nice black walnut, wild black cherry, california redwood. I have even thought of sculpting something fancy and casting in resin. What are your experiences in making your own revolver grips.

Scott

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    If you're building your own I'd say a classic set of wood grips would look nice and if you have the ability to sculpt something fancy and do the resin casting, might as well try to have a little fun and personalize them. No reason a gun should only have one set of grips.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    grips
    Usually harder woods hold up better, they sand to a nicer finish . you can combine woods ,look a my album 1 is maple on walnut the other is rosewood wood on maple.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    never made my own grips, but I have done a bit of woodworking. if I was going to make a set of grips, I'd take one piece of wood and trace the old grip onto it and adjust it as I needed for my hands.

from there it depends on the style you want. if you want 2 separate pieces, cut the outline out on a bandsaw and then cut that in half, rasp the right shape and put them on the gun.
    if you want the type where the frame is encased on 3 sides, I'd cut the notch for the frame, THEN cut the outline and rasp it to the right shape.

basically just copy whats on the gun right now, adapting the style to suit yourself.

Top Bottom