Making custom powder blends. Is this ever done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Just a point - duplexing is different than blending. Using a small amount (1 to 5 grains) of an easily ignited fast burning flake powder with a slow .50 BMG powder on top is done in the cast bullet world. Key considerations are as follows:
    1.) The powder charge must be compressed by the bullet so that it can't move or blend.
    2.) The fast burning powder must be a flake powder so that it can't move or blend. It's your igniter powder and you want it to stay against the primer.
    3.) Moderate to heavy cast lead bullets only, not jacketed and not light for caliber cast lead.
    4.) Best to do this in "big bore" type cases such as 45-70.
    5.) The small amount of fast burning flake powder is called a "kicker charge" and it's purpose is to make sure the .50 BMG powder ignites and has enough pressure to stay burning. With no kicker charge or one that is too small, you get a squib or erratic velocities. Once you are getting velocities with a low deviation, stop adding to the kicker charge. Do not exceed approximately 5 grains for the kicker.

Blending two different lots of the same powder? Well, sorta. I'll do that when I'm refilling the powder measure as I'm switching from one can of powder to the next, but ONLY when I'm making plinking ammo. Basically, I'm just not working my load back up. If you are making max or near max ammo, don't do it. Different lots of the same powder can vary enough to get you in trouble if you are at or near max. Rifle powder seems to vary from lot to lot more than pistol powder. My standard plinking load for .45acp uses Red Dot and has been the same since I started loading. I see no reason to work it back up each time I switch powder lots. On the other hand, a maximum long range target or hunting load in 30-06? You're a darn fool if you don't work it back up when switching powder lots.

Blending (mixing) two different kinds of powders - NO!

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This kind of question falls under the aegis of "if you have to ask then the answer is no." If you have the proper equipment to accurately measure burn rates and pressures and you are thoroughly familiar with lab testing then sure. But then you wouldn't be asking here.

Other folks have given good info about like powders and duplex charges, even then one needs to be careful.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    ^^^ Thanks nat, I take that as a compliment....Or could it be just stating that someone other than you could know more about the subject the OP stated??

There was never any doubt of that, and nowhere will you find me stating otherwise. But shibumi seeker has it straight: if the guy is asking on the internet, then he isn't a chemist for a powder company. That level of knowledge is, in my way of thinking, a prerequisite for doing this kind of thing safely.

Being that your kind of advise is pretty dangerous taken out of context, I think that it is really irresponsible of you to suggest to the reading public that powder blending is a safe practice.

Good or bad: I've never been one to watch stupidity unfold without at least saying something about it. This gentleman blending powders would be exactly that, regardless of your skill level and knowledge.

-Nate

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thank you...

There was never any doubt of that, and nowhere will you find me stating otherwise. But shibumi seeker has it straight: if the guy is asking on the internet, then he isn't a chemist for a powder company. That level of knowledge is, in my way of thinking, a prerequisite for doing this kind of thing safely.

Being that your kind of advise is pretty dangerous taken out of context, I think that it is really irresponsible of you to suggest to the reading public that powder blending is a safe practice.

Good or bad: I've never been one to watch stupidity unfold without at least saying something about it. This gentleman blending powders would be exactly that, regardless of your skill level and knowledge.

-Nate

"Being that your kind of advise is pretty dangerous taken out of context, I think that it is really irresponsible of you to suggest to the reading public that powder blending is a safe practice.'

You are absolutely correct on this statement, and I do stand corrected.

To ME, I do not regard topping off a powder measure as "Blending"

To ME, "Blending" would be done with a totally different powder.

My original post, in MY OPINION, was more to the point of topping off, or adding to a low powder measure. To ME this can be done with the EXACT same powder.
    As stated here, or on other posts, nothing of this sort should be done if you are ANYWHERE near max loads. There can be differences in different lots of the same powder.

Also my previous statements were to the fact that SOME powders are the same, even though they are in different labeled containers. The links that I posted backs up that statement..

Thanks again for the correction...Bill.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I just HAD to "Weigh In" (see what I did there??) on this topic:

YES, I and most handloaders have, mixed powder in measure hoppers..

Like add when low of WW-231 with HP-38

Like add when low of WW-296 with H-110

Like add when low of WW-760 with H-414

Sometimes-NOT OFTIN:

Add H-335 to WC-844

Add BL-c(2) to WC-846

Folks they (These powders listed!!) come out of the SAME containers at the Powder Mfg. Plant..

Winchester brands are usually higher $$ than Hodgdon powders to pay a fee back to WW for their "Branding"

With ALL the Anti's I HAD to chime in...Bill

While they are the same powders, powder can change lot to lot, and you are taking your life in your own hands by mixing different lots of powder together.

On the topic's point, I've never heard of mixing powder being done anywhere except maybe by the powder manufacturer.

What is done, is duplexing or triplexing powder charges. This was primarily done before the advent of modern powders we have today that are easier to ignite. The idea was to stuff a small priming charge in the base of the cartridge with a slower burning charge on top of it, to give the slower powder better ignition, and adjust the pressure curve. This required compressed loads to ensure the powder never mixed inside the cartridge.

If done properly, duplexing and triplexing isn't really as unsafe as it sounds. It's just far easier to make a mistake.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Some Savage ML shooters dabbled with duplex loads(two different, unmixed powders on top of each other) but it really wasn't worth the risk. In metallic cartridges the risk is far greater. Just don't do it.

DISCLAIMER: "Not intended for use in reloading metallic cartridges for use in center fire rifles"
    If one were to pay a visit to Doug's Savage Message Board they would find quite a bit of data devoted to using "Duplex Loads" used in the Savage 10ML-II smokeless muzzleloader for use with
    saboted 250 grain and lighter projectiles to obtain muzzle velocities of 2700-3000 FPS . Many thousands of duplex loading have been and likely still are being safely fired out of Savage 10ML-1 and 10ML-11 smokeless muzzleloaders. BUT unlike a CF rifle a Savage muzzleloader has a built in safety relief valve in the plastic sabot. I own a 10ML-II and have chronographed loads pushing 290
    grain saboted projectiles at 2450 FPS/MV and 245 grain projectiles at 2750 FPS/MV but never used a duplex powder load as I was getting superb accuracy and velocity with straight RL10X and
    H4198.

I've been a member at Doug's for 15+ years and it's as good a sight for any type of muzzleloader as exists on the internet.

I would however consider it foolishness bordering on reckless disregard for ones own life to mix powders in a metallic cartridge reloading.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    DISCLAIMER: "Not intended for use in reloading metallic cartridges for use in center fire rifles"
    If one were to pay a visit to Doug's Savage Message Board they would find quite a bit of data devoted to using "Duplex Loads" used in the Savage 10ML-II smokeless muzzleloader for use.

If memory serves it seems like they were using some sort of a cloth patch to separate powders ?

Wish I would have bought a truck full of ML-2's when they announced they were discontinued.

Top Bottom