• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • auburnpirate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    I like the idea of having an oilcloth tarp, but don't like the price I've seen on most of them. I was wondering if anyone on here has made their own before, and if so.....how?

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    never done it, but I believe it involves painting canvas with a mix of linseed oil and mineral spirits [or some other solvent] and drying it in the sun.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    :welcome:to:ingo: auburnpirate!

Years ago, a friend was into Civil War re-enactment. He had a period-styled canvas tent that he used for camping. He had tried the oiled canvas & said that even in the strongest downpours it would still leak around sewing seams. He soaked his canvases in Thompson's water seal (as a test). The Thompson's worked very well. No more leaks after that. Just some food for thought...:)

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    boiled linseed oil is the old way. if you reboil it youself with a few pieces of limestone in it it supposedly dries faster. you can also use the oil based barn paint from the farm stores which is linseed oil and iron oxide pigment which was a traditional color in the 1700's. hang, paint one side let dry, paint other side.

Top Bottom