• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I know most people don't really pay attention to news about malware and viruses, but this is one everyone should check to see if they might be affected. The malware infects home routers. They can use it to steal usernames and passwords and even change the content of webpages as they go through the router.

This article has a list of devices vulnerable to the malware and directions on what to do if yours is vulnerable. There is apparently no easy way to tell if your device is infected. You basically have to reset it to default and upgrade it.
    https://arstechnica.com/information...cting-50000-devices-is-worse-than-we-thought/

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My Comcast (Xfinity) router/gateway is made by Cisco. I don't see any of their equipment on the list. I wonder if Xfinity's updates are taking this malware threat into account? I did do a hard reboot when I first heard about this.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At least that article is better than "Reboot your router" which would have done nothing to fix the problem, only disrupted the malware temporarily.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I run DD-WRT so am apparently safe for now. Thanks for the heads up! I forwarded this to my fellow IT guys here at work.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    At least that article is better than "Reboot your router" which would have done nothing to fix the problem, only disrupted the malware temporarily.
    They originally thought that was all you had to do. As they have studied it more they are learning more about it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just reboot it can’t hurt.

Your router usnt on The list... yet.

yet

the list has expanded twice.

why not be ahead of the curve and fix an unknown vulnerability before you know it was there?

it has only upsides. Computer stuff likes to be rebooted. Go ahead and do it. It’s easy.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Lol. I have fiber now. But I hadn't done it yet lol

I saw you were not logged in and I thought you pulled the plug! DSL takes a while to come back. My Netgear router (on the list) comes back in <5 minutes.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw you were not logged in and I thought you pulled the plug! DSL takes a while to come back. My Netgear router (on the list) comes back in <5 minutes.
    I'm not sure what I have or if it's on the list. I upgraded to fiber optic for.faster speed a while back and now I have a fiber box In my basement and then it has the cord that goes from it up to the main router I think. I've had to reset it in the past and yep it takes like 5 minutes sometimes more.
    I dont know anything about technology. For some reason it doesnt sink in. It's easier for me to learn a foreign language than to learn about computers. Now if I have someone show me something in person I'll remember it but I wont understand anything about it, I will only remember the steps lol.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I'm not sure what I have or if it's on the list. I upgraded to fiber optic for.faster speed a while back and now I have a fiber box In my basement and then it has the cord that goes from it up to the main router I think. I've had to reset it in the past and yep it takes like 5 minutes sometimes more.
    I dont know anything about technology. For some reason it doesnt sink in. It's easier for me to learn a foreign language than to learn about computers. Now if I have someone show me something in person I'll remember it but I wont understand anything about it, I will only remember the steps lol.

At this point I'd bring in my son to help, but he's "hanging out with friends" and will be home sometime. If your router is from AT&T it may do automated firmware updates like my parent's system. I your router from somewhere other than AT&T?

Top Bottom