• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    At this point I'd bring in my son to help, but he's "hanging out with friends" and will be home sometime. If your router is from AT&T it may do automated firmware updates like my parent's system. I your router from somewhere other than AT&T?
    Nope it's all att. I just say I want this, pay them and they deliver and install lol

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I just got a new router about a month ago from CenturyLink. It appears to be a ZyXEL and not on the list.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Why does rebooting fix it? Wouldn’t You need a patch?

i’m being Told my Netflix account is signed in to Vietnam and somewhere else in the last few days

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

i’m being Told my Netflix account is signed in to Vietnam and somewhere else in the last few days

1: The hackers were able to take over the routers, but it wasnt persistent. If you rebooted they would have to hit you again to make your router connect to their C&C servers. The feds busted them and took over the C&C server so they were able to stop the threat. (or at least the part that initiates the control and makes the router be a zombie) Rebooting disconnects the router and makes it run normally again. After the reboot it would no longer be vulnerable.

Change your Netflix password. That is a different problem altogether.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

It actually doesn't. It clears the running program out of memory. You need to upgrade the router firmware to actually fix it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I bought one of those NetReset timers a couple years ago that reboots the router and modem every day. I works pretty good, but occasionally the router gets stuck and needs a second reboot.

I'm shocked in looking the NetReset back up on Amazon. It's price has more than doubled.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought one of those NetReset timers a couple years ago that reboots the router and modem every day. I works pretty good, but occasionally the router gets stuck and needs a second reboot.

I'm shocked in looking the NetReset back up on Amazon. It's price has more than doubled.

This works better. I use them at all my remote sites. If it cant get to the web, it reboots your gear in case that is the cause. (but it doesnt needlessly cycle the gear)

https://3gstore.com/product/6081_2_outlet_ip_switch.html

Avoid the 1 port unit. It requires a smartphone to config and relies on their cloud server to operate. (they go out of business, you have a useless brick)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Called it.

Why havent you rebooted?
    Because AT&T's gateway isn't impacted, because rebooting without a patch would just get attacked again.

I fail to see the point in rebooting without a patch to prevent re-infection. I also have yet to see good info on mitigation steps until there is a patch. Until then if you have a router on the list you might as well turn it off and disconnect from the internet or buy a new router.

Rebooting a router sans patch would be the functional equivalent of rebuilding a windows 2000 machine infected with code red without already having the code red patch applied. As soon as it was rebuilt it would be infected again.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But rebooting at least stops the current code that may be running. And the feds already killed the C&C server that was the big threat.

Yes, they need to update as well to mitigate the future threat.
    And the att router isnt on the list... YET. :p

It doesnt hurt to reboot if they arent as smart as you are to know for sure they are not affected.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This works better. I use them at all my remote sites. If it cant get to the web, it reboots your gear in case that is the cause. (but it doesnt needlessly cycle the gear)

https://3gstore.com/product/6081_2_outlet_ip_switch.html

Avoid the 1 port unit. It requires a smartphone to config and relies on their cloud server to operate. (they go out of business, you have a useless brick)

The feature of being able to turn off the power to your router on a timer/schedule is interesting. That could keep you 100% from outside troublemakers when you know you don't need to use your wifi, like when you're at work or sleeping.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And the att router isnt on the list... YET. :p
    True, though there's little I would be able to do about it even if it was vulnerable. Not to mention the backlash and massive potential botnet if it is discovered that vendor provided and required equipment can be compromised.

To me the bigger issue is that there are all of these routers out there that have a known vulnerability and will be attacked again even of the current source has been stopped. I'm surprised the current malware doesn't self replicate given that it doesn't require any action on the end user's part, just a device connected to the network.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Many of the devices that are vulnerable are vendor supplied. Hopefully those vendors have plans to upgrade the vulnerable devices.

Top Bottom