• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Also, see my edited post above, where the newscaster says that an AR-15 platform rifle chambered in 300 BLK is used by the military, and "often" used in sniper rifles. :rolleyes:

Probably bad googling. That or bad choice in trusted info sources. Demanding moms, MSNBC, Bloomberg, et al, even though they speak out about guns a lot should not be trusted for their expertise. :D

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I feel sure that this story will get the attention of many within the evangelical world. Bellevue is not just another mega-church. Those in Southern Baptist circles will recognize it one of the most significant churches in the SBC. Dr. Adrian Rogers led the conservative resurgence of the SBC while pastoring Bellevue. The late, great R.G. Lee pastored the church also. My point is simply this - many people in conservative churches keep an eye on Bellevue, First Baptist Dallas, etc., because of their historical significance to the evangelical church in America. Thus, this story (and the security questions it raises) might have more traction/staying power than if this incident had taken place elsewhere.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    This is INGO, where middle ground isn't a thing. If you can't walk around with grenades in your hands, you aren't free.

It wasn't my intention to condone the activity nor do I condemn the action taken against him. Simply pointing out how quick we, supposedly on the right side of the RKBA fight, are to draw a line.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I'm head of security at my Church.

Our leadership team is pro gun.

We have voted to only allow CC in our church.

I have asked people to conceal their weapon.

A rifle would be a no go as well.

Some might not agree. That's ok, but it works for us.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It wasn't my intention to condone the activity nor do I condemn the action taken against him. Simply pointing out how quick we, supposedly on the right side of the RKBA fight, are to draw a line.

If we are to balance an individual's rights vs the individual rights of others, and that will include some line drawing. You probably don't want me making weaponized anthrax next door to your house, no matter how nice a guy I am, and you'd probably find it difficult to enjoy your meal if I were playing with a grenade one table over. Ridiculous extremes of course, but to illustrate the point we all draw the line somewhere, and reasonable minds can differ on exactly where it should be.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    If we are to balance an individual's rights vs the individual rights of others, and that will include some line drawing. You probably don't want me making weaponized anthrax next door to your house, no matter how nice a guy I am, and you'd probably find it difficult to enjoy your meal if I were playing with a grenade one table over. Ridiculous extremes of course, but to illustrate the point we all draw the line somewhere, and reasonable minds can differ on exactly where it should be.

But I think the great takeaway from this is we all know that they have to put the line somewhere, but most of us agree about where the line generally should go. If all of us are getting along fairly well, then it is all quibbling over where the edge should. If the social situation is not so healthy, on the other hand, then we have the disagreement.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The right to keep and bear arms doesn't trump the right of assembly. If the congregation encourages concealed (or open) carry by those who attend, that's one thing. But that same congregation has the right not to be comfortable with rifles - especially carried by strangers - in/during service, without infringing upon anyone's RKBA.

I work both security, and with the children, on a routine basis. If a stranger walks into my church carrying a rifle, you can be sure I'm going to confront that person.

+1

As director of the security team at my church, I believe this is 110% correct. If a unknown person came to service with a rifle and making those same comments that were stated in the article, I would have done the exact same thing.

Obviously this off duty LEO knew how to use his de-escalation skills. And considering how the whole thing was resolved with apparently no violence of any type, I think it was the best resolution that could be made of that situation. (Assuming that there are not any more details left out of the article)

Where do you draw that line? For us (YMMV) it is all about knowing the people who come through that door. The more we know you, the more we can trust you with a displayed item. If we are talking about a concealed item, then conceal away. Assuming you can keep it concealed and coon-fingering is not a problem.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Just because something is legal does not make it right.

If you think its a good idea to bring a long gun into a crowded Church service, you are doing legal
    gun owners no favors. YOU may very well be the problem THEY all talk about...

We don't ask and most folks don't tell, but we would have an issue with someone toting a shotgun or rifle
    into Service. Having it sticking out a backpack wouldn't help.

There may be good reason for some folks to be afraid at Church, but a gun won't help them. :):

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    But I think the great takeaway from this is we all know that they have to put the line somewhere, but most of us agree about where the line generally should go. If all of us are getting along fairly well, then it is all quibbling over where the edge should. If the social situation is not so healthy, on the other hand, then we have the disagreement.

I'm absolutely certain the leftists feel the same way. Unfortunately, I don't think their line will correspond with yours.

fatback mike

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Apparently he appeared to have some mental issues. In Indiana the 72 hour hold isn't that easy to get. The paper called it "arrested" but it probably meant detained.

Top Bottom