Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    There is a town in Northern Illinois that has an annual Turkey Testical Festival. 11 years living within 50 miles of it and I never made it to the festival. This is probably going against my quality thread post count.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    There is a town in Northern Illinois that has an annual Turkey Testical Festival. 11 years living within 50 miles of it and I never made it to the festival. This is probably going against my quality thread post count.

Yeah, probably.

Super Trucker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2015
    In front of you
    I'm going to guess you've never killed anyone. It's not a great experience even when they deserved it and you didn't have a choice. It's ridiculous to think you just shrug off a bad shoot and there's no incentive not to shoot someone who didn't need to be shot. My incentive is I have to live with myself and the choices I make. Unless you're a sociopath, that's probably a big motivator for you as well.

If I shot somebody that needed shot tomorrow I can GUARANTEE I would not be on paid vacation until it was resolved. That is what I said, I would be under the same stress so that is irrevelant.

You also have NO idea some of the sketchy stuff civilians do and don't get charged with because the media doesn't shove it in your face constantly. You also have no idea the level of reviews a police shooting gets vs a civilians' shoot.

You might want to rethink that, some of us do have a thing called a previous careers. We also have a thing called family, so to say I have no idea is a BIG mistake. I have knowledge of what happens in the prosecutors office. I have enough knowledge to know what DOESNT get presented during a trial that is nothing more than a media circus to shut up the people of the area.

What you don't see or hear about is the huge number of times officers must make the shoot/no shoot decision. In my first beat it was at least a weekly occurrence. You make a decision enough, you'll eventually make it wrong. I came reaaaal close to shooting someone who ran and pulled a cell phone like a gun. I am so grateful I realized it at the last split second before the trigger broke because even though it would have been legal, the affect on me would have been terrible.

I am fairly sure that as a trucker if I don't react fast enough to somebody making a right turn from the left lane because they want a coffee and they die because of being smashed by a large truck (The same as you reacting the correct way for somebody pulling a cell phone read as hazards of the job) that there is ZERO chance of me being on paid vacation while it is being investigated. I would be on UNPAID vacation while it was being investigated, my point in my career people are held accountable for their actions so we are FORCED to make the correct choices or our lives are ruined. Which is what my last post said.
    My comments in red.

I have a yes or no question for you.
    Did you or your department do ANYTHING last year Lieutenant Aaron Allan of the Southport IN. Police Department was killed by gunfire?

Also to be clear nobody said all cops are sociopaths, I am saying there is little to no incentive for them to make the correct decisions because of minimal if any discipline.

Last edited:

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    My comments in red.

Did you or your department do ANYTHING last year Lieutenant Aaron Allan of the Southport IN. Police Department was killed by gunfire?

Also to be clear nobody said all cops are sociopaths, I am saying there is little to no incentive for them to make the correct decisions because of minimal if any discipline.

+1
    so many times they get off with no reprocussions, get to keep their jobs, and families and society have to pick up the pieces. like we keep saying, we're not blaming all leo, but when something is bad or wrong it should be punished and prosecuted and dealt with. not exonerated. leo's know that if they make a mistake the prosecuters, and justice system will most likely find in their favor. just once id like to see leo's come out and say this guy was terd, should have never been hired, we were wrong. but they always band together and blame the situation, the suspect, or society.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    When I was still on the street I had a guy die after a fight and it messed with me for quite awhile. The medical and legal processes said I didn't kill him, but I felt like I did. As a rookie, I had a woman hang herself in jail after I arrested her with a mental health hold. She believed demons were trying to kill her. I did what I could to save her from herself, and she was the first one that I couldn't. I certainly didn't kill her, but I still had a lot of "what if" questions, what if I'd just done something a little different, would she have lived?

Unless you believe we're all sociopaths, the movies are BS.

You just raised an excellent point. My views, prior to the influence provided by you among others, were shaped in an environment where most did exhibit antisocial tendencies of varying degrees of severity.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My comments in red.

Do anything? I don't understand the question.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    +1
    so many times they get off with no reprocussions, get to keep their jobs, and families and society have to pick up the pieces. like we keep saying, we're not blaming all leo, but when something is bad or wrong it should be punished and prosecuted and dealt with. not exonerated. leo's know that if they make a mistake the prosecuters, and justice system will most likely find in their favor. just once id like to see leo's come out and say this guy was terd, should have never been hired, we were wrong. but they always band together and blame the situation, the suspect, or society.

Always? Please provide examples where the JBTs on INGO have *always* sided with the officer and always blamed the situation, suspect, or society.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Always? Please provide examples where the JBTs on INGO have *always* sided with the officer and always blamed the situation, suspect, or society.

I've been on here six years Frank and I see it totally opposite.....Often times you all are very tough critics on how a situation was handled...The legal eagles (rightly so) tend to wait for more information before weighing in...

Just wanted you to know not all of us see it that way...Thanks for your service to the community...:ingo:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

You mean like when everyone on INGO blamed the Australian chick in Minneapolis for getting herself shot and not the Police Officer who fired across his partner from inside a car because he heard a noise? That didn't happen, it was about 99% "that guy shouldn't be a cop".

Edit: I'm going to add something about high standards, military/LEO (I spent a lot of years in a uniform) etc. Need to think on it...

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You mean like when everyone on INGO blamed the Australian chick in Minneapolis for getting herself shot and not the Police Officer who fired across his partner from inside a car because he heard a noise? That didn't happen, it was about 99% "that guy shouldn't be a cop".

Edit: I'm going to add something about high standards, military/LEO (I spent a lot of years in a uniform) etc. Need to think on it...

That, honestly, seems to be one of the few times recently that there has been such a consensus (excluding LEOs) by forum members. Philando Castile wasn't given near the same amount of consideration. INGO was sure he was the robber, confident he had a gun on his lap, and dug up videos trying to disprove his character, despite all information we had saying otherwise.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Frank, the best I can offer is that when taking this idea in a broader context than just INGO, people are influenced heavily by their personal experiences. For a very long time, I was exposed to local officers who, at minimum, had no business in positions of authority and then a special subset dedicated to hunting me on account of my perfectly legal occupation. This, as I am sure you can recall, did not foster a very positive image of law enforcement in my mind. Until being exposed on an ongoing basis to officers like you among others, all the police I knew with a select few exceptions were either people less trustworthy in all regards than the average criminal or people who were there to find ways to separate me from my money (as reiterated by our illustrious governor about a year ago--and no, I don't like being called a 'revenue stream' any better than I like being called a 'bitter clinger' or 'deplorable'). I am happy to say that I have had plenty of good and honorable officers brought to my attention, and as a bonus, when I returned to the community where I originated, I found the Sheriff's Department to be a far different institution in a good way. I wish I could say the same for the nearest city PD. Nevertheless, we are generally products of our cumulative experience. I will grant you that there are some people who are not willing to pay attention and consider that their views may need revised at least if they intend for their views to reflect truth, but for the most part, the example you set makes your most powerful argument. Considering this, you are one of several officers who post on INGO who make a fine argument in favor of the honor of the profession.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    After much thought I'm back. Being held to higher standards is the standard when you wear the uniform. When anyone who wears (or wore in my case) the same uniform as you does something that brings negative attention, it reflects on you as well. Whether it should or not, it does.

When we found out the Sutherland Springs murderer was not listed as a prohibited possessor due to some serious mistakes made by individuals in the USAF. I could see serious systemic problems in how NICS reporting was to be accomplished from the first time I heard AFOSI (think NCIS in the USAF) was responsible. I was not associated with AFOSI or USAF JAG (actually SJA for Staff Judge Advocate) but it made all of the Blue-Suiters look bad.

I see LEOs in a very similar light as I do the military. The mission is quite different (serve and protect opposed to kill people and break things) but there are a lot more similarities. Most notably, being held to a higher standard. You make the choice to accept the responsibility that comes with the job, after a while you can't imagine doing anything else. We hold our own to a higher standard, just like we do ourselves.

Top Bottom