Man being held and beaten with baseball bat kills 2 teens and may be charged.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    He's refusing to give a statement to the police without a lawyer present. That's the only reason he's "possibly" being charged.

They cannot rule self defense until he gives a statement.

ParaManAR15

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Has been an update to the story if you haven't seen already.

Sources tell FOX6 News the maintenance worker has asked for a lawyer while in custody — and as of Thursday morning, he had not provided a statement to police.
    FOX6 News is told the incident cannot be considered self-defense until a statement is given.
    Attorney Alex Flynn isn’t representing the maintenance man in this case, but says based on the facts we’ve heard so far, he believes the man could argue that he fired his weapon in self-defense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Where is our country heading?

Its Milwaukee. I'm not sure that's a very accurate bellwether for the rest of the country. Kinda like Cali.

ETA:
    Better to say nothing and spend a couple nights in jail than to say the wrong thing and extend the stay.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I thought you were innocent until proven guilty and what about probable cause?

Basically the report is just saying that they can't say either way. He is innocent until proven guilty but the same can be said the other way around. He may be charged with murder, he may be let off on legitimate self defense. We won't know until we know.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Its Milwaukee. I'm not sure that's a very accurate bellwether for the rest of the country. Kinda like Cali.

ETA:
    Better to say nothing and spend a couple nights in jail than to say the wrong thing and extend the stay.

Actually the sheriff in Milwaukee County, David Clarke, is very pro second amendment and has been extremely vocal in his support of citizens carrying. I'm not sure if this incident would be handled by the Sheriff's office or the local PD.

Milwaukee County Sheriff: 'You Have A Duty To Protect Yourself' : NPR

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Actually the sheriff in Milwaukee County, David Clarke, is very pro second amendment and has been extremely vocal in his support of citizens carrying. I'm not sure if this incident would be handled by the Sheriff's office or the local PD.

Milwaukee County Sheriff: 'You Have A Duty To Protect Yourself' : NPR

Right you are.
    Sheriff Clarke is definitely one of the good guys, but he's sheriff of MIlwaukee County, not of the city of Milwaukee.
    Unfortunately, the man in charge inside city limits would be the police chief, appointed by the mayor, who is well known as very anti-gun and antagonistic to Sheriff Clarke.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "I feared for my life. I will not give any further statement without my lawyer." Better than saying nothing, sets the direction of the investigation a little better.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    "I feared for my life. I will not give any further statement without my lawyer." Better than saying nothing, sets the direction of the investigation a little better.

If I was smart, I could probably say something like that after being in a deadly force situation. Unfortunately, I am stupid and since I am stupid, all I am supposed to say is "I would like to speak to an attorney". After that I am supposed to shut up until I talk to my attorney.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Yep
    That's part of what Massad Ayoob advises for anyone involved in a justified use of force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCZXZMYyRl4

Whoever makes the initial call is presumed to be the victim.
    "Officer, I'm the man who called you, and that's the man who attacked me."
    "I will sign the complaint."
    "The evidence is here; the witnesses are there."
    Officer, you'll have my full cooperation in 24 hours, after I've spoken with counsel."

1) Point out perpetrator to police.
    2) Tell police you "will sign the complaint."
    3) Point out the evidence to the police.
    4) Point out witnesses to police.
    5) Will give full cooperation in 24 hours after speaking with attorney.

Those five steps should be committed to memory for anyone who contemplates even the remote possibility of using deadly force, just as much or even more so than range practice.
    It should be so well learned that you still automatically say and do the right thing in the extreme psychological and physical stress of the aftermath of defending yourself.

Top Bottom