• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Wal-Mart has the right to refuse any customer.

Did anybody read the article? Wal-Mart didn't refuse anything. They simply "reported" someone they found suspicious, for some reason. What was that reason?

From the article, it seems that absolutely no investigation was done between the initial Walmart report and knocking on his door...

Again, did anybody read the article in Post #21? For your edification:

"...Court records report the Ithaca police detained him in June 2016 under a state law that allows authorities to hold a person who is a threat to themselves or others..."

...and the follow-on article:

"...Ithaca police previously detained Reynolds in June of 2016 under a New York State Mental Hygiene Law that allows officers to take those who could be a danger to themselves or others into custody, according to a federal criminal complaint..."

So: it appears the individual was not unknown to Police, and a reasonable person, upon meeting this individual (perchance in a WalMart store?) might plausibly have some concern about him.

In fact, it turns out he had a considerable amount of concerns about himself - given that he consented to almost every discovery made by law enforcement, including extensive volunteered statements attesting to his various illegal activities and questionable mental state.

The "My Ryeets" gang would benefit from brushing up on their reading skills and actually reading the available material. It is often said God gave you two ears, and only one mouth, for a reason. In the age of the internet, "ten fingers but only two eyes" seems to rule the day.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not think I would have had a problem had the original article stated that he showed signs of being unhinged. In that case why was the sale completed.

Here is an example of one sale that I would not have made. Profit is a motivation, but should not be the all in all.

[video=youtube;jfokxWQftJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfokxWQftJg[/video]

I am not saying he was a victim. If he had shown symptoms of not being a proper person that is a reason not to sell and possibly report to the police.

There is Lairds law to consider. Laying Down Laird?s Law | IndyPolitics.Org

Indiana Code Title 35. Criminal Law and Procedure § 35-47-14-2 | FindLaw

There is a Bloomberg push to push similar laws with very convoluted or no due process.

Last edited:

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have a sneaking suspicion it wasn't so much the number of rounds as much as it was the "intangibles ".
    If we're going to complain about law enforcement being contacted numerous times about the Florida shooter and doing nothing, then complaining about this seems more than a little disingenuous.

Agreed. This kid was probably sending up all sorts of red flags with his behavior/conduct. Doubt very much that this was simply about the number or rounds.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I believe 300 rounds in New York is a suspicious amount of ammunition.
    In Indiana its a short range session.
    Two completely different states one would not believe they are part of the same country.

I would assume the young man most probably displayed serious symptoms of mental illness during the purchase.
    If any of us went to buy ammo and camping supplies while muttering about “they” are coming for me it might raise an eyebrow?

Yep! This.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Look out it’s a bust everyone slit!
    e237105465d7747305ad8f38318ca3e5.jpg
    6d74184f8623df4883e93af9250140b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your criticism is fair. I was overly harsh.

Apologies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I believe 300 rounds in New York is a suspicious amount of ammunition.
    In Indiana its a short range session.
    Two completely different states one would not believe they are part of the same country.

I would assume the young man most probably displayed serious symptoms of mental illness during the purchase.
    If any of us went to buy ammo and camping supplies while muttering about “they” are coming for me it might raise an eyebrow?

Yes, different areas and different people have different ideas of what a LOT of ammo is.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't know if this wal-mart had an ffl. I assume they did.

If so, they have a role to play in gatekeeping. Reporting suspicious activities to law enforcement is clearly within that duty.

The report said the dude is bi-polar. If he is in a manic phase, his behavior wouldn't appear "normal" to most...and I know "normal" at Wal-mart is a broad interpretation. Having said that, they can refuse service and/OR call law enforcement.

I've refused to do work for customers in the past. I've never had to report anyone, because those folks never came back. But it happens more frequently than might be expected.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So how much ammo did he actually buy to get reported? It said he had 300 rounds. Was that the amount he just purchased? Or did he purchase half of that or what?

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Yes, different areas and different people have different ideas of what a LOT of ammo is.

That's for sure. At least law enforcement FOLLOWED-UP and DID something when someone REPORTED something peculiar. Reading the article about the straw purchase also...wow. Looks like a possible serious event was shut down. See, criminals don't CARE about laws and WLL break them to get what they want!

Top Bottom