• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I just read this article and at the bottom it stated that he was being charged with a few crimes one of which is possession of a handgun without a license.

I understand that this would be a valid charge if he were traveling in his vehicle or carrying the handgun around with him but he was inside of his home. Even though this guy was in the wrong, it doesnt seem like its valid charge.

I have my LTCH, but I want to know if anyone else has heard about being charged with having a handgun inside the house without a license.

Kids sleep through police stand-off, arrest | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Something is missing from that article.
    He had to have left his property with the gun and been caught in that act.

There is no license needed to have or carry a handgun anywhere on your own property.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    Yeah thats what I'm thinking. Something has to be missing from the article but its just kind of frustrating. Seems like this happens pretty often with the Indy Star.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Article doesn't say that he was barricaded in HIS residence...

"Police were called to the home in the 3700 block of Graceland Avenue about 2 a.m. when two residents outside said Sean Dozier was inside with a gun."

That might also explain the criminal confinement charge.

edit: dammit, SCOOPED! $%*&*(-ing phonecalls.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Does it matter who's house it is?

Also, the article mentions a "house full of weapons".

Calling a pistol, a shotgun and 5 knives a "house full of weapons" is setting the bar pretty low.

FatsMcKay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    I suppose that is probably the case. Another question would be, does 'your property' just mean the address that is on your IN DL? I am in college and have rented houses for the past two years. My address on my DL is still my moms address and not the one I am residing at. Lets say I do not have my LTCH and have handguns inside of the house I am renting, does mean I am illegally in possession of a handgun?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Does it matter who's house it is?

If it's not where he lives, he would need to prove that he had consent from the person in control of the property.

IC 35-47-2-1

(b)...a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;

...Lets say I do not have my LTCH and have handguns inside of the house I am renting, does mean I am illegally in possession of a handgun?

You'd be covered by (b)(1).

bsh01bsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    something is missing, i just purchased my first hangun for home defense only right now and researched extensively on this topic, you are allowed to have on as long as it does not leave the property

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Or he could be ineligible to possess firearms due to a felony or restraining order/domestic violence and the paper screwed up the charge.

Trust me, the news screws up A LOT... ;)

I think is what happened. How could you expect the reporter to get the weapons charge straight if he thinks a shotgun, pistol and handful of knives is a house full of weapons. Must be from NY or CA.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Zounds, yeah, I often have a pants full of weapons then. Would that be a pantload? Wait, nevermind. The Star has gone totally to the 'rats since it was bought out by Gannett (USA Today). I won't even subscribe to the Sunday for coupons anymore because I have to keep calling them off from sending the rest of the week free. That just generates too much garbage for me.

The police and prosecutors probably haven't made too many mistakes here, but the illiterate thumbsuckers that reported it are just too incompetent to portray even a credible semblance of the story, being so fundamentally disconnected from the most basic knowledge necessary to understand it that they may as well be trying to translate poetry from one language to another using the google translator.

Top Bottom