• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In that I can't say. I'm honestly baffled. We all saw the vid. Perhaps, they had a reason to arrest him (which I'm having an incredibly hard time finding, and which I think is quite relevant). Do you have a theory as to why they didn't indict?
    Nope. I can only guess at what the testimony was. What has been reported in the news is meaningless, what was testified to under oath is what counts. Did the coroner testify to something that was different than reported? The the 5 or so minutes prior to the recording have a bearing? Is the one angle of the camera not telling the entire story? How many cameras so the NFL refs need to make a decision...3-4? One camera does not tell all. It is far better than no camera but it is not the be all end all. Without knowing the answers to these questions, I'm not going to scream foul yet. I have no reason to think the jury has been "snookered" into their decision. Without evidence of that, I'll stand by their decision.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nope. I can only guess at what the testimony was. What has been reported in the news is meaningless, what was testified to under oath is what counts. Did the coroner testify to something that was different than reported? The the 5 or so minutes prior to the recording have a bearing? Is the one angle of the camera not telling the entire story? How many cameras so the NFL refs need to make a decision...3-4? One camera does not tell all. It is far better than no camera but it is not the be all end all. Without knowing the answers to these questions, I'm not going to scream foul yet. I have no reason to think the jury has been "snookered" into their decision. Without evidence of that, I'll stand by their decision.

I wouldn't go that far. I can acknowledge the verdict, but without seeing how the jury arrived at that conclusion, I will not stand by their side. OJ . I think it's important that people question the actions of govt actions. I think it's healthy to question our processes. While I know, and believe, that a person's guilt must be proven, I also believe that govt must inform the public of how and why the system worked the way it did.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I wouldn't go that far. I can acknowledge the verdict, but without seeing how the jury arrived at that conclusion, I will not stand by their side. OJ . I think it's important that people question the actions of govt actions. I think it's healthy to question our processes. While I know, and believe, that a person's guilt must be proven, I also believe that govt must inform the public of how and why the system worked the way it did.

I share this view and skepticism. The people are the final check and balance in the system. In a real sense, it is the people's duty to be skeptical of all parts of the process. We must make sure that everything is done honestly, transparently, lawfully, constitutionally, and so on. To take government at its word based on secret evidence is a failure of checks and balances.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If the officer was trained by the NYPD to take men down like that is true, how could an officer be held accountable for doing as trained?

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    None of us were there , we make are decision on what is presented to us by the media . I vote guilty on the cop taking it to far. If you don,t like it ,to bad I do not care , you will not change my mind. To make a black vs white thing out of it is bs by race biters.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    None of us were there , we make are decision on what is presented to us by the media . I vote guilty on the cop taking it to far. If you don,t like it ,to bad I do not care , you will not change my mind. To make a black vs white thing out of it is bs by race biters.

In the interview his wife stated she did not think race played a role. The look on Sharpton's face was priceless....

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If the officer was trained by the NYPD to take men down like that is true, how could an officer be held accountable for doing as trained?

The chokehold was, and is, against NYPD policy. They are not trained to take down and strangle people. He went directly against his training.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In the interview his wife stated she did not think race played a role. The look on Sharpton's face was priceless....

Widow

The Garner family has proven itself to be far more honorable than the Browns. His mother said "We want you to rally, but rally in peace. Make a statement, but make it in peace." A far cry from "Burn this ***** down!" The dynamics between this and Ferguson are night and day.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    By the way, in interest of presenting all the facts. I found out that the officers did have the PC to make an arrest. They did see him selling untaxed cigarettes that day. So I'll say the arrest is warranted, as freaking ridiculous as it is to arrest a person for selling individual cigarettes, even with it's minor ties to organized crime.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    This law is supposed to be about protecting tax revenue, yet it has led to nationwide anger and will cause a hefty civil lawsuit.

All moral and logical arguments say to leave this man alone. Refuse to enforce tyrannical laws.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This law is supposed to be about protecting tax revenue, yet it has led to nationwide anger and will cause a hefty civil lawsuit.

All moral and logical arguments say to leave this man alone. Refuse to enforce tyrannical laws.

OLTTuuE.gif

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Let's not forget what else she says:

“I feel that he was murdered unjustly. I don’t even feel like this is a black and white thing, honestly,” Esaw Garner told Chuck Todd on Sunday’s “Meet the Press.”

She also says that the police harassed her and her deceased husband, and that she fears for herself and her children.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eric-garner-widow-he-was-murdered-unjustly?CID=sm_FB

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Widow

The Garner family has proven itself to be far more honorable than the Browns. His mother said "We want you to rally, but rally in peace. Make a statement, but make it in peace." A far cry from "Burn this ***** down!" The dynamics between this and Ferguson are night and day.

Yes. Widow. You are correct. I alo agree in general on the difference between the two families ( I also see the cases as very different). In the Ferguson case thought I will state that there is a HUGE difference in the manner that the father (Mike Brown Senior) has carried himself and acted versus the mother and step-father.

Let's not forget what else she says:

She also says that the police harassed her and her deceased husband, and that she fears for herself and her children.

Eric Garner's widow: He was 'murdered unjustly' | MSNBC

So what? It is her opinion. She did provide examples ( her perception) of the alleged harassment. I give her a ton of credit for NOT playing the easy race card and for dumbfounding Sharpton.

Though "murdered" is a strong word, I don't have an issue with her perception.

Agreed

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    So what? It is her opinion. She did provide examples ( her perception) of the alleged harassment. I give her a ton of credit for NOT playing the easy race card and for dumbfounding Sharpton.

"So what?" You can't pick and choose which part of her perception of the whole event to promulgate because it's the part you like -- if we're talking about PERCEPTION. By the way, if she appeared on the show with Sharpton, do you think she did not have hours of coaching from Sharpton's staff? They're building public support for the case. There isn't very much evidence to make a case for racial discrimination and Garner was no saint -- though he was no great criminal either. So they're building a case for something else. Her statement is a part of that. For all you know, Sharpton's reaction might have been scripted, too.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "So what?" You can't pick and choose which part of her perception of the whole event to promulgate because it's the part you like -- if we're talking about PERCEPTION. By the way, if she appeared on the show with Sharpton, do you think she did not have hours of coaching from Sharpton's staff? They're building public support for the case. There isn't very much evidence to make a case for racial discrimination and Garner was no saint -- though he was no great criminal either. So they're building a case for something else. Her statement is a part of that. For all you know, Sharpton's reaction might have been scripted, too.

Seriously? You don't know nor is there any way you can assert that. For her to say that she didn't think the issue was racial thumbs its nose at everything Sharpton has played up in the last 30 odd years. His formula works, so why would he change it, especially when it makes him look like a fool on network TV? His ego alone wouldn't have let her say that if she was indeed prepped by his staff. Hell, in fact they would have harped on it for her to make that point.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I estimate Sharpton to be more cunning than you do, Kut. As much as we like to make fun of politicians for being so stupid, they are really smart in ways that we are not. Sharpton isn't a robot who knows only one formula. I wouldn't underestimate him, the same way I didn't underestimate GW Bush.

No, I have no evidence the interview was coached. But you can tell Mrs Garner's speech was prepared. It strikes me as having a mixture of a carefully orchestrated narrative and equally carefully thought out departures from polish. People usually don't talk like that, with that sort of poise, unless they've had practice.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I have to say is that someone has to decide on a chant, theme, whatever.

We've got "Hands up, Don't shoot" and "I can't breathe" battling for T-shirt and poster supremacy, but frankly neither one has panache.

Johnny Cochran, oh how we miss you.

Top Bottom