• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Second, I've driven through lots of fields chasing bad guys on foot, never run them over, but they always get tired of running before I get tired of driving. So, then you hop out and put the cuffs on.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Let's see:

the cop leaves the roadway, drives over 100 yards off road with his car into a lot/vegetable garden, hits, runs over & kills the guy.

Yes, I would say it was intentional.

Some of your posts in this thread are the oddest/most comical I've read to date. You complain about the cops be judge and jury, yet here you sit doing exactly that to them.

Your convinced this cop killed this FELON intentionally, when it's more likely that he was trying to cut him off. Or not, who knows? maybe he did whack him? However, the pursuit was completely justified. People that risk their and others lives over a $25 seatbelt ticket are clearly hiding something.

Your rhetoric about this guy running because of a previous bad experience... Laughable. Anyone who has had a bad experience with police that now has them so scared they cannot even interact with them (OVER A TRAFFIC INFRACTION)... Do you actually believe what you're typing?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Some dude flees from police, gets nailed during the pursuit and you guys want to call it Murder?

What, do you think he has tally stickers on the side of his car?

Sounds like a creative "Suicide By Cop".

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Before Garner vs Tennessee you could shoot fleeing felons. Some people try way to hard to find a victim where there isn't one. My prayers go to the officer. :twocents:

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    so he wasnt wearing a seat belt and violated his probation...so he deserved to die, so his mother deserved to never see him again, or his wife, or his children....was he being an imminent threat to anyone as he tried to avoid being arrested? I fail to see how the deadly outcome of this traffic stop is acceptable to anyone...

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Some of your posts in this thread are the oddest/most comical I've read to date. You complain about the cops be judge and jury, yet here you sit doing exactly that to them.

Your convinced this cop killed this FELON intentionally, when it's more likely that he was trying to cut him off. Or not, who knows? maybe he did whack him? However, the pursuit was completely justified. People that risk their and others lives over a $25 seatbelt ticket are clearly hiding something.

Your rhetoric about this guy running because of a previous bad experience... Laughable. Anyone who has had a bad experience with police that now has them so scared they cannot even interact with them (OVER A TRAFFIC INFRACTION)... Do you actually believe what you're typing?

isnt that basically what the cop was doing too?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This leaves me with all kinds of questions:

1. Why are we so polarized? It seems that the two positions are that the officer should at minimum face a second degree murder charge or conversely that he should be commended for ridding the universe of rubbish. This situation leaves me shaking my head at both parties involved in the final impact.

2. Why does being arrested 12 times in 20 years (although apparently convicted only once for possession of a politically incorrect substance) make it acceptable to run someone down with a car?

3. Have we considered the possibility that this young officer (only a couple of months on the job) may have been putting too much faith in extreme example from training or else putting too much stock in stories told in the break room and tried something he would have been better off not trying (i.e., that running over the guy rather than following the previously expressed truth that most get tired of running before the officer gets tired of driving is simply the product of youth and lack of experience rather than any ill intent)?

4. My own conclusion is that neither extreme resolution is appropriate. The officer should not be put in prison until the second coming of Christ, nor should he be allowed to simply say 'oops' and walk away. Running a person down with a car is not excusable, but then again, unless it can be proven that he deliberately did so, he should not be punished for anything more serious than negligent behavior resulting in death. I am also concerned with it being taken for granted that fleeing over an infraction automatically proves that he was up to something more nefarious. Another consideration is that we don't know anything about the reputation of the local PD. They could be the most honorable people we could hope to meet, or they could be the kind who would ask questions after they finished beating a person within an inch of his life. There are more reasons to run than hiding something more important. We could also move away from reason and surmise it was simple stupidity in action. If we are going to engage in summary execution for stupidity, it won't take long before the green freaks get their wish of a world population ~500,000,000 people. Running away over a simple infraction is not acceptable--neither is running the man down with a car for doing so.

5. My broader conclusion is that I do not want to live in a society in which the negligent killing of others, bystanders or wanted fugitives, is accepted, be it a situation like this or something like being fired upon for having a vehicle vaguely similar to one operated by a fugitive. I do not want police acting righteously to live in fear of punishment for doing their jobs to the best of their ability, nor do I want those acting unrighteously to be able to get away with abusing the rights (including the right to life) of citizens with impunity.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Pretty pretty warped twist to the story. Anyone the runs from a traffic stop is committing a felony irregardless of what the stop was for. As for the now departed felon I seriously doubt he was run over on purpose. The moral to this story is don't flee when you are getting pulled over.

This just goes to show you that most cops will stop at nothing to force there will on you. I think that is the moral of the story. Your logic is like dont fight a person trying to steal from you because you might get hurt. There is this thing called LIBERTY! Fell free to look up the definition.

Last edited:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Let's see:

the cop leaves the roadway, drives over 100 yards off road with his car into a lot/vegetable garden, hits, runs over & kills the guy.

Yes, I would say it was intentional.

Soooo, you are saying the Cop should have jumped out of his car 100 yards BEHIND the guy and chased & caught up with him? How many people have you caught while giving them a 100 yard head start, at night in an urban environment?

If so then my hat off to you sir, you are one bad ass mother ****er.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Another way to look it is if someone comes up to you on the street and try's to demand you pay them money and you run away dose that make you a criminal? If no then how is that any different than a cop trying to steal from someone?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Soooo, you are saying the Cop should have jumped out of his car 100 yards BEHIND the guy and chased & caught up with him? How many people have you caught while giving them a 100 yard head start, at night in an urban environment?

If so then my hat off to you sir, you are one bad ass mother ****er.

If he can't manage to operate his car without running over someone, he needs to be reassigned to foot or bicycle patrol.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    All right, I'm all about holding the police accountable when they screw up, but this was a guy that didn't want to go to jail so he decided to flee from the police. He was definitely in the wrong.

I myself find it hard to believe that the officer ran the guy over on purpose. Maybe he meant to clip him, maybe not.

Clip him? So it would be justified if the cop had pulled out his pistola and tried to shoot him in the buttocks but missed and killed him?

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Seatbelt laws suck! Why is it that I can ride a motorcycle wearing just shorts,flip flops and sunglasses, but I need to be strapped inside my car. There are no fender benders on a motorcycle. The percentage of crash fatalities on a motorcycle compared to a car make cars look pretty safe. Seatbelt laws are just revenue generators, just like red light cameras. If ABATE can get helmet laws rescinded, why can't we get them to help fight against stupid seatbelt laws. They always say if one life could be saved it is worth it, well this would have been that life, his seatbelt killed him.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This leaves me with all kinds of questions:

2. Why does being arrested 12 times in 20 years (although apparently convicted only once for possession of a politically incorrect substance) make it acceptable to run someone down with a car?

I actually said 2 dozen arrests and did not suggest that made it acceptable to run him over. I just think it is important to have the full picture before jumpting to conclusions.

I would also point out that the seat belt violation wasn't the real reason for the pursuit. That was just the legal justification (IMHO). This is why he was really pursued:
    According to a Sheriff's Office report, Szabo saw a car parked in the middle of the road at Green Street and Parsons Avenue with all its doors open. The deputy could see five people in the car, who quickly closed the doors. The car started driving off.

Anyone think you aren't going to get pulled over if a big group of you are stopped in the middle of the road, but all slam your doors and take off when you see the cops coming?

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    If he can't manage to operate his car without running over someone, he needs to be reassigned to foot or bicycle patrol.

I'm sure glade we live in a country where a man is assumed innocent until he is proven guilty, and is not convicted in a court of public opinion. The article is obviously slanted as to paint the cop as an evil murderer, and since I can't get the article to load i can only go by what is in the OP's post. With that said, I'll take this article's "truth" with a grain of salt until i can get a more level headed report of the incident.

I can't comment on this cop's ability to operate his vehicle since i don't know what kind of car he was driving, what the the terrain conditions were, what the weather conditions were nor how the lighting and visibility were. I guess that will all get sorted out from the Highway Patrol's investigation that is taking place, as stated in the OP's post.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Am I to understand a lot of the responses in this thread are basically, "He's a felon so begin killed was justified."?

Who cares if he was running from the police and was a felon - is that reason to kill him? If they had pulled their guns and shot him in the back, would you feel the same?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This just goes to show you that most cops will stop at nothing to force there will on you. I think that is the moral of the story. Your logic is like dont fight a person trying to steal from you because you might get hurt. There is this thing called LIBERTY! Fell free to loop up the definition.

I translate this to mean: "I want freedom to commit crimes with out police hassling me!"

Top Bottom